First build, Grand Daddy

MTScott

Reaction score
Certainly an option :thumbsup:
...but, takes a lot of the DIY out of the build
...& it's all Metric stuff

* Also, I hate it when the shipping costs more than the "actual thing" you bought :mad2:

Good points... and I did enjoy building the A-arms, but I didn't nail it perfect. Who knows how perfect the chinese ones would be though. A hell of a lot cheaper than everything I built though, but likely not as heavy duty.

MTScott

Reaction score
I thought I'd share with you guys how I'm doing the steering shaft. This is a picture of the "used" steering shaft I bought from bmi karts. They say it is from returned carts and I think it was about $28. One joint has a tiny bit of play, but I can live with it. I'm not sure if I would be able to find a replacement for that U-joint or not.

It also has a slip joint in it, and is made with DD shaft. So, slip joint and and u-joints for $28... not bad. I was looking at single U-joints for $25 a piece. It isn't long enough though, so I bought extra 3/4 DD steering shaft. I plan to cut about where the pen is pointing, telescope the shaft in about an inch on both sides then weld it. The shaft test fits perfect into the slip joint.

0602221028_copy_1164x873.jpg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
There's a lot of advantage in having a telescoping shaft that doesn't get welded solid, when you have an adjustable seat so everything still fits whether you're an adult or a kid driving the thing. I've experienced a steering wheel in the face at speed, and I wasn't wearing a linebacker's face guard on my helmet.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If the double dee should end up loose take a BFH and a center punch. Line it up in the center of the outboard shaft and give it one good wack. It’ll tighten it right up. Also useful if it slides in and out too easy.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
An oversized wingnut threaded into an exterior-welded-on nut on a telescoping shaft makes for quick tool-free adjustments, just like a spring-loaded seat slider adjustment when the kiddies want to drive. Personal experience of the wingnut not holding tight enough on a steering shaft is why I say oversized, and as a caveat on that...............A hollow shaft like EMT conduit will cave in some from the force of the wingnut before getting tight enough for total reliability.
That kind of tightening force only works right on a shaft that's stronger than your wingnut-tightening fingers.
Some folks would stump for predrilling some holes or at least divots or flat spots to avoid slippage, and I don't disagree. Just pie in the sky stuff to have infinitely adjustable length, as opposed to preset steps as described above. One can dream, and then adjust the dream to fit reality for mechanical sureness.

MTScott

Reaction score
There's a lot of advantage in having a telescoping shaft that doesn't get welded solid, when you have an adjustable seat so everything still fits whether you're an adult or a kid driving the thing. I've experienced a steering wheel in the face at speed, and I wasn't wearing a linebacker's face guard on my helmet.

I haven't dream it all up yet, but I'm hoping to make both the tilt, and forward position adjustable... it will take some thinking, but I figured it would be best if my son could adjust this so it didn't break his nose... we'll see how it all comes together.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
dream it all up yet, but I'm hoping to make both the tilt, and forward position adjustable
You're already doing it right. My latest creation had no plans at all in the beginning, just dreams like you're doing. Spent an hour with my feet up on the workbench just dreaming of all the things I would have if I could have anything that I wanted.
Then I just started to figure out how to build it. No impossibles allowed, just building whatever you want however you have to do it to get what you dreamed of. Ex.: How many karts have you seen with 12vdc pumps that dispense Cuervo Gold and O.J. out of the dashboard at the push of a couple of buttons? With a padlocking cover over the buttons to comply with open-container laws? Transforming telescoping left/center steering, and gas/brake pedals? You can make stupid dreams a viable reality, don't fear your imagination.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_152558_1CS.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152558_1CS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

MTScott

Reaction score
You're already doing it right. My latest creation had no plans at all in the beginning, just dreams like you're doing. Spent an hour with my feet up on the workbench just dreaming of all the things I would have if I could have anything that I wanted.
Then I just started to figure out how to build it. No impossibles allowed, just building whatever you want however you have to do it to get what you dreamed of. Ex.: How many karts have you seen with 12vdc pumps that dispense Cuervo Gold and O.J. out of the dashboard at the push of a couple of buttons? With a padlocking cover over the buttons to comply with open-container laws? Transforming telescoping left/center steering, and gas/brake pedals? You can make stupid dreams a viable reality, don't fear your imagination.

Thanks for the inspiration, I mean.... that's why we build these things ourselves right? :)

MTScott

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any new picture updates, but I do have the roll cage all tacked together. Figuring out the cuts to connect the front angled portion together with the roof was a bit of a trick, as you kind of have to guess and free hand this one. I ended up with a much longer roof (which I think looks better). the front angled portion maintained the dimensions set out in the plans. I raked the rear supports back a bit (to accommodate the seats fully slide back), and also had to lengthen the roof because the body was lengthened.... all said and done the flat roof portion ended up about 17" long (vs 8 in the plans). I think it looks better personally.

The Front suspension is also all tacked in place, which is very different from the plans to accommodate taller springs, as well as a winch location up front (one of my sons very adamant requests). It turns out the shocks/springs I got might be too soft, but I've yet to put preload on them.

I will try to get pictures of this along with some of the ways I dealt with issues.

Time to clean the shop and get ready for:
* Dash design (much more elaborate than the plans)
* Engine/drivetrain layout
* Steering rods and rack
* Steering wheel/shaft install
* Charging system and battery

Last edited:

MTScott

Reaction score
A quick note on charging system... in the end, I've decided on the little john deere tractor alternator, which I've seen more thAn one person mount to the 420. I have a plan to mount the pulley to the end of the output shaft, on the outside of the clutch, it will effectively be the centering washer holding the clutch on.

This is the piece:
John Deere Alternator Amazon

If you guys haven't seen it, you should check out a youtube channel called "Robot Cantina", he's stuffed a 420 into a yota prius, and made it go 70mph, through upgrades and supercharging. The guy also seems to be a serious geek, and does some real testing and problem solving to make improvements. Quirky sense of humor too. Anyway, he does some detail on how he dealt with charging with this solution, and this alternator is what he arrived at, along with wiring instructions:

MTScott

Reaction score
Yea, I still think I’d go with a GM alternator from a 75-85. Cheaper and no voltage regulator to buy.

Well I have considered this one...
Mini denso

Still inn the 70ish range, but built in regulator.

Size is a consideration, also drag. My assumption being the permanent magnet alternator might have less drag.

MTScott

Reaction score
Not a whole lot of progress this past week, just cleaning up and re-organizing.

Here is where I got to the week before:

0613221555_copy_1164x873.jpg

0613221555a_copy_1164x873.jpg

0613221555b_copy_1164x873.jpg

0613221555c_copy_1040x780.jpg

Last edited:

MTScott

Reaction score
"Trash cAn" haha,
I've had that for over 20 years. Bought it when I was stationed at Langley... last year 2nd gen - 81, Turbo 301, kind of a turd actually, but a unique cool combo. Snapped a rod within 10K miles, rebuilt it about 10 years later, then converted to fuel injection about 5 years ago with megasquirt, then hit a deer. Seems like that car is cursed :).

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Pontiac 301 engines were kind of an embarrassment. Rods made of glass, blocks made of silly putty. Yes I remember them well. I worked for Buick back then. When I saw anything with a 301 come in I died a little inside. The Pontiac engines of the 50s to middle 70s were such reliable monsters. From straight 8s to 4s. But the 301 who knows what went wrong.

MTScott

Reaction score
Pontiac 301 engines were kind of an embarrassment. Rods made of glass, blocks made of silly putty. Yes I remember them well. I worked for Buick back then. When I saw anything with a 301 come in I died a little inside. The Pontiac engines of the 50s to middle 70s were such reliable monsters. From straight 8s to 4s. But the 301 who knows what went wrong.

Yeah, there were a lot of bad choices with that engine... while the intention was to be a lightweight economy V8, they could have done it a whole lot better. The 80-81 blocks were okay, because they had a higher nickel content and better webbing to deal with the turbo, but even with the turbo at 8psi, they ran 210HP.

It is basically, a short deck pontiac block, on a diet. They had a good idea making it a large bore (4.0) short stroke (3.0) motor (like the 302 ford), but with a shorter deck height, you couldn't run standard pontiac intakes, and they also made specific heads with anemic siamesed intake ports and small valves. So, you can't even run standard pontiac heads because you don't have an intake that will work with them. So even though the largish 4" bore would allow you to run a decent valve size, there wasn't anything else to run. If they had just run a standard pontiac block with the same 4.0/3.0 bore/stroke, it would have left the door open to be make a badass high RPM screamer, but they messed it up an almost every turn. The Turbo was a bandaide trying to make a turd perform like a late 70s 400, which it does, but late 70s (stock) 400s were also turds. If you had a 400, you could at least upgrade it.

Guys have take standard heads, and adapted them to the 301, then built custom sheet metal intakes, but it isn't trivial.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The 302 Chevy which is what they were trying for made much more power. If it were my car I’d be looking for a 400/455 to slap in there with a turbocharger. Atleast you probably have f41 and rear disc brakes? They did handle good with that setup! For the time atleast.

MTScott

Reaction score
The 302 Chevy which is what they were trying for made much more power. If it were my car I’d be looking for a 400/455 to slap in there with a turbocharger. Atleast you probably have f41 and rear disc brakes? They did handle good with that setup! For the time atleast.
Yup, 4 wheel disc stock, running 3.08 posi from the factory. I have a buddy with a 400 waiting for me to build, but this is a numbers matching TA with 72K original miles - I'm hesitant to hack it up, but we'll see.

The same buddy found me a 79 formula 4 speed that has already had the drive train gutted, so I might buy that for the next project and go all out. 5spd tremec, 461 stroker, eddie heads, intake... all the right stuff. He bought it, because that's just what he does and has it under cover at his house until I'm ready.

...but I just mentioned like 10K of stuff, and this go kart has been eating my wallet, so that might be on hold for a bit :).