DIY spindles (no weld)

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE_SHRUB

Fantasmatissist
Reaction score
I just picked up the parts i needed to build the spinldles mentioned. Im using them for a school go-kart project, ill be sure to tell you how it goes!

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
you guys are awesome

man jr tyler that is a nice looking kart. I like the use of pillow blocks in your steering.

Steve that is a sweet kart and a amazing idea!! :wai: it deserves a dancing banana for sure :bannana:

THE_SHRUB

Fantasmatissist
Reaction score
heres what i managed to do with the info i got here. i kinda cheated and threaded welded it anyways but that was because i had the option and it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Attachments

• spindle assembly.jpg
    spindle assembly.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 366
  • spindle finished.jpg
    spindle finished.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 374

SupaDave

Reaction score
wow

i Hate to repeat what everyone is saying, but "What a great idea"!!
And yes here is your well deserved :bannana:

I'll post some photos of my project soon!

:wai:

jibboo36

Reaction score
Thanks

I have not made a go cart...YET. But this thread really help on the radio flyer project. Just down sized it. Works great. Thanks. Here are some pics. Need to fine tune, disassemble and paint. Also add seat, wood 1/2 sides, rear basket, and canopy.

Attachments

• wagon small.jpg
    wagon small.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 75
  • wagon2.jpg
    wagon2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 161
  • wagon3.jpg
    wagon3.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 158
  • wagon1.jpg
    wagon1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 104

luka

Reaction score
The pic below shows the steering rod/Pitman arm assembly. The tie rods attach at the Pitman arms and connect to the wheel spindle arms.
Luka

Attachments

• steering-spindle diagram750.jpg
    steering-spindle diagram750.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 207

steve lord

steve lord
Reaction score
Glad these no weld spindles have helped. Again, these are not my original ideas but were a mix of ideas from books and friends!

thanks again, everyone!
Steve

steve lord

steve lord
Reaction score
heres what i managed to do with the info i got here. i kinda cheated and threaded welded it anyways but that was because i had the option and it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Not cheating! This looks great! Excellent work.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
just a idea if you dont want these just bolted together jb weld them together along with bolts!

Gearstix

Reaction score
Has anybody broken these yet?

I was going to say cast iron is weak. But then again, the spindles in my truck (S10), if I remember right are cast iron aswell..

If I make a new set of spindles, I'll keep this in mind. Seems very cost effective.

drscope

Reaction score
Ready made spindle kits are available! I sell the Azusa kits for $25 a pair.

Jig Welded Spindle Kits - 5/8" Kingpin
Bushings, spacers, and locknuts included in kits. Two axle diameters to choose from. Choice of lengths. The individual assemblies in a spindle set are designated as "Side1" and "Side 2". This indicates that one is the "mirror image" of the other to produce a set, no matter how the assemblies are oriented.

The only welding required is to weld the spindle bracket to your frame, but we have had guys bolt them on as well so they can adjust caster.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Thats really awesome, we had a customer a year ago who said he would build an entire kart with no welding and do it from scratch. He had many similar setups to connect the kart together. I'm glad to see people are being creative whenever possible.

isrummell

Reaction score
im curious could i use that same design on mine. im 250 lbs and am looking to make a go cart will that will take a beating from me. or any other ideas for me

Status
Not open for further replies.