Bobs 2024 Build Off Build

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
If was was to go thinner and taller, the only thing holding me back at this moment is the way I decided to mount the brake caliper.

I suppose some sort of “Z” bracket off the back of the frame could remedy this.
IMG_5695.jpegIMG_5694.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I live in my head because I long for understanding. Building is a distraction from thinking, but I’d rather be thinking. Physics are cool, but metaphysics is funner.

There is no free will. I can’t change what I am. I build when I build because my nervous system is millions of years old. Everything I do (or dont) is a direct result of evolution, environment, past experiences, stimulus and nerves.

i know March is Carl Jung month in this build, but let’s visit Sam Harris and Robert Sapolsky.
Well link illusion of free will to the “Collective unconscious”.

My choices today are as limited as my choice of womb for spending the first 9 months of my life were.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
If was was to go thinner and taller, the only thing holding me back at this moment is the way I decided to mount the brake caliper.

I suppose some sort of “Z” bracket off the back of the frame could remedy this.
View attachment 146597View attachment 146598

For comparison sake, all MTB or other bicycles equipped with disc brake have the caliper eyelets set parallel to the dropout by default because the caliper itself handles the offset. Offsetting calipers to line up as needed with washers is not uncommon, and mini bikes with disc brake tend to be done exactly the same way. In fact the most have the same exact caliper ISO mount dimensions as an MTB.

A stepped in offset is not an issue if the material thickness and hardness is adequate, however reducing the axle length and spacing to the dropouts is the safer way to go.

Why?
Simple, Physics dictates that regardless of the material in question; the long the span the greater the deflection, even at rest.

A simple example of this is a 10ft 2x4 compared to a 5ft. The five footer will have nearly no flex on its wider face, where the 10 footer will be very springy.

This is why "Freehubs" took over in high quality bicycle components leaving freewheels for cheap bikes.
A freehub has less overlock, but more importantly the bearings are as far outboard as mechanically possible without interfering with the cog lock ring therefore maximum support.
I digress
The point being the span (more specifically unsupported span) and physics involved; instead of moving the caliper to the rotor, move the rotor to the caliper by using the least amount of spacing you can mechanically get away with

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
I was riding my e-bike the other day with 3 cu ft of peat moss strapped on the rear rack. It’s about 60lbs I think. It was an interesting ride. Im not sure I know how to describe it. I think it kinda acted like a counter weight and the bike wanted to straighten itself out quickly. It definitely had me thinking… About what? I don’t know. I don’t speak Portuguese.View attachment 146595View attachment 146596
You get enough weight on the back of ANYTHING and the steering goes dead. The reality of the physics in that comes down to the lack traction from the lack of weight on the steering wheel(s)

With bicycles in particular one factor in play is the frame design and where it places riders weight in terms the front/rear balance, most bicycles only appear to center the saddle weight, but in all truth most are more 55/45 rear heavy.

You thought your peat was unsettling, run 90lbs on the rear in 8" of fresh snow... I've done it a few times, not just in snow. It's nuts because with 90lbs directly over the axle, another 185 in the saddle... corners have to be taken slow with oversteer and nearly no lean because if you lean you go splat

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Too low and too wide. It will be hard to ride. It won’t lean as far as you think for turning or swerving. Almost 50 years of riding tell me this. Taller bikes are naturally easier to balance. The bike should feel like a pendulum swinging out of your but for maximum handling and maneuverability.
I don’t want anything swinging out of my butt.

However, for the bits that hang, the angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the beat.

Rat

Reaction score
I don’t want anything swinging out of my butt.

However, for the bits that hang, the angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the beat.
You're not building a Harley or a 'busa so while physics are unyielding thwre is a factor of preference that dictates low can be negotiated when building from the ground up.
However take caution with avoiding being too long, length tends to be the second biggest detriment to cornering characteristics mostly in terms of turning radius capabilities which lends to cornering characteristics at moderate to high speed.

Honestly all is negotiable if you nail down the steer geometry to work with the frame geometry. It never fails to amaze me how much difference fork length alone can change the temperament between low speed and high speed cornering, of course length affects the caster and trail once the head angle has been established. Moving the front axle as little as half an inch further ahead of the steering axis can change the steer behavior from extremely dangerous to extremely stable.

If your steering whips itself back to center without provocation, your steering geometry is way off, this behavior can rapidly lead to the infamous "death wobble" or "head toss" at speed... the experience I have behind finding that out the hard way is a little messy

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Manual shift TC?
Great minds think alike. Lol
Can’t stop thinking about using a stepped pulley system to build a belt driven transmission.

Might not be great at transferring power efficiently, but the cool factor is there.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
2016 idea:
IMG_5702.jpegIMG_5703.jpegIMG_5704.jpegIMG_5705.jpegIMG_5706.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score

Moving the front axle as little as half an inch further ahead of the steering axis can change the steer behavior from extremely dangerous to extremely stable.
You want the front axle to “trail” the steering axis, right? I like straight line stability. I fear the death wobble.

I think I was originally planning on something like 27.5 to 30 degree rake. With the forks I have (and the tree clamp offset) and front tire diameter… I think it gave me 2-3” of trail.

The height of the neck tube becomes fixed if you choose the amount of trail you want.

if I were to raise the neck tube, I would have to reduce the rake, which would reduce the wheel base and the amount of trail.

Going back to the z50 front end which I have, I’m not sure if I could change the height of the neck tube very much from original z50 dimension. So while it may be too wide, I don’t believe it’s too tall (at least not for my forks)IMG_5707.jpegIMG_5707.jpeg

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
This shows 40mm trail. 1.6”
The “neck tube” perhaps vertically centered ~ 575 -590 mm. ~23”
I can’t read the rake angke. I think it says 69 or 67, meaning rake of 31-33 degrees.
IMG_5139.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
This shows 40mm trail. 1.6”
The “neck tube” perhaps vertically centered ~ 575 -590 mm. ~23”
I can’t read the rake angke. I think it says 69 or 67, meaning rake of 31-33 degrees.
View attachment 146636
90- 67 = 23 degrees, not 33. F’in subtraction.
At least one other resource said 67 degrees.
So in my language, the original Z50 had 23 degree rake and 1.6” trail and 35” wheel base.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I believe the stock front tire is 3.5-8 or 90/100-8.
My tire is 3.5-10 or 90/100-10. I think this means my tire is 17” vs stock 15”.

Perhaps that’s how I got closer to a 30 degree rake vs stock 23 degrees.

Last edited: