WTF tools du jour

Master Hack

Reaction score
Scored a tool box full of junk a while back.
l’ve never seen sockets of this size before and never had a use for ‘em.
Anyone seen these before?
E9B44E00-772B-4F02-B758-418CB4CD629C.jpeg
0F95C7CC-C55E-463A-9AE1-08D168CFBF56.jpeg
350AFFA3-3351-4D18-B4C1-A4B169212880.jpeg

redflash

Reaction score
Standard sizes, just not used everywhere like 9/16, 1/2, 12mm and 13mm

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The old Japanese cheap tool sets used to have those sizes to make the tool kits seem bigger. The only thing I ever found them useful for is pounding on a striped nut or bolt for removal.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Not sure in what world those are “standard” sizes. I’ve been wrenchin for something north of 60 years (holy $**t l’m old) and never encountered those sizes. But, someone made ‘em and someone bought ‘em….

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Does that say "chrome vanadium" on the sides of those sockets?
The old Japanese cheap tool sets
I think Denny nailed that one. I've found plenty of individual sockets and wrenches that were sized in ?/32 inches, most having been rusted and/or stripped and/or even broken. Have kept several. Thing is, if you required that precise of a fit, those hardened-butter tools would quickly become slugs for your kid's slinghot.

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
All of the X/32" sockets I have are small 1/4" drive. I think you'll find that the larger ones often land pretty close to a metric size.

I don't doubt that it was a strategy to boost the kit size because pretty much anything in 32nds that's larger than 5/16" is not going to be standard.

The exception would be if you found sockets from a reputable brand like Snap-On, S-K, pre-chinese Craftsman, Matco, etc. No one would pay big bucks for weird sizes unless they had a real application.