wire lights using only battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
i have a db30 minibike. It has not charging coil so ill just use a battery that will have to be charged. Can anyone show me a diagram of how to wire a small 12v battery to a headlight with a switch? What other components do i need(regulator,capacitor) to keep the battery from dying right away or blowing up.

dpaxson

Reaction score
run a wire from the negative terminal on the battery to one lead on the light, and then from the other lead run a wire to a switch and then to the positive terminal on the battery.

anderkart

Reaction score
What style headlight are you using?

For a simple headlight system without the high/low beam option:

Battery Positive (+) post -->-- Fuse-->--2 wire switch-->--headlight.

The battery's negative (-) post would normally conect to the minibikes frame. The headlight would then pick up its ground source from its mounting location on the fork. (or you could run the battery's ground wire directly to the headlight bulb ground terminal if you prefer or is necessary) Most motorcycle style headlights/automotive driving lights already have the bulbs ground terminal connected to the headlight buckets mounting bracket.

No regulator, capacitor or other devices would be used/needed for this very simple circuit. The wattage rating of your headlight would determine how fast your battery would run down and what amperage size fuse was needed. There's no danger of anything blowing up but the fuse would be there to blow in case your positive side wiring ever accidentally shorted to ground. (A short w/o a fuse instaled would cause the wiring to burn up)

Here's a pic of a type of fuse holder you could use/buy at most any auto parts store: http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHD-Fuse-Holder/dp/B000BXKZMO
(I'd guess you'd want to run a 10 or meyby 15 amp fuse)

Theres lots of diferent style switches you could choose, but for this simple 1 wire headlight you'd just need it to have 2 wire connections and be rated for say a minimum of 10 amps. (the technical term for this type of (on-off/2-wire) switch would be a "single pull single throw")

I'd probably use 14 gauge (or larger) sized wiring for this job.

If you dont understand any of this, just ask. Its really a simple easy wiring job but I probably made it sound complicated. :D

02mx-5

Reaction score
Anderkart, that was perfect. I have a freind thats good with electronics who will help. i just wanted to know if there was anything else involved. like i said, wiith capacitors and all that. About how long do you thinka small battery will last with just a headlight?

anderkart

Reaction score
That would totally depend on your headlights amp draw and batteries amp hour rating but I'd guess you'll end up getting an hour or 2. If you want max run time get the largest most powerful battery you can afford and have room to instal.

rdenis

Reaction score
If you run a regular 55 watt auto bulb it will draw about 5 amps on a 12 volt battery - if you run a SLA type battery, you'd probably want a 12 amp hour or better rating - more amp hours = bigger size.

However, I'd consider a cheap HID kit (35 watts) or if lumen output is not important, even an LED kit (say 3 watts per LED) would work better.

If you are using this to be seen - go LED. If you are using this to see, go conventional with 12 AH or better 12 volt SLA or 35 watt HID with smaller SLA (say 7 amp hour).

Either system will get you about two hours of lighting before needing to recharge.

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
i wish a bicycle style alternator would work.. I have thrown that idea around ALOT
or get a mini alt from a car.. and mount it

would be SWEET and cheaper then getting a charging coil and flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.