What motors to use?HELP

Antoniyo1593

Reaction score
Hi guys! Newbie here. I'm modifying a pedal kart for my kid I want to make it electric, I saw these motor that they use for ride on cars 12v rs570 with gearboxes on them already am I able to use this? How fast will it be? Planning to over volt it aswell

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200601-161714.jpg
    Screenshot_20200601-161714.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 7

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Hi guys! Newbie here. I'm modifying a pedal kart for my kid I want to make it electric, I saw these motor that they use for ride on cars 12v rs570 with gearboxes on them already am I able to use this? How fast will it be? Planning to over volt it aswell

Howdy, :welcome2:

You can but, their mostly plastic
…& you have to be able to "match" your wheel "hub" to the motor hub :huh:
(overvolting is usually not a good idea) :ack2:

Most small karts are powered (very well) by 24V 500W motors
…& are easily connected to the wheel via a chain & sprocket :cheers2:

Years ago, I built a kart for my son powered by a motor like this :2guns:
…& he rode it everywhere :2guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ6bcBy1O1M

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Those motors and gearboxes are for specific ride-on toys. I went through three replacements on my son's BCP Jeep recently. Teeth shearing off and melting plastic is not fun to have to deal with; especially as you upgrade the power. You would also have to fabricate or otherwise attach existing mounts to the pedal kart. It seems like way to much work to put something that breaks so easily on the kart when you could put a more reliable motor on it and drive the wheels with a chain and sprocket setup (like Functional Artist, above). In fact, if you could get a used Razor chassis (e.g., Dune Buggy, Ground Force Drifter) you'd have an easier time with a more reliable chassis (I have seen crazy power on these chassis) unless you just want the challenge of fabricating something unique.

ol'joe

Reaction score
In my opinion , when the load gets really light, the speed really slow, the duration of use highly temporary, nothing will provide the motor and gearing required like a cordless drill motor, meaning a cordless drill, complete. Old guys call them drill motors instead of drills because drills are the little twisty things that actually make the holes :) .

Those drill motors are cheap, powerful, geared real slow, have a "throttle control", can be clamped onto the machine several different ways. The chuck will clasp a rod with a sprocket on it, at least for a while, and when that one starts slipping you can replace it with a "real" chuck that tightens with a key.

The only downsides to using them is not much speed nor power, plus nobody learns much of anything about electricity. If neither of those things bother you much, well, I guess it is off to harbor freight! …..Joe