What engine to put on my kart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jblankster

Reaction score
okay so heres my dilemma. i want to build a go kart and well i have to decide on some things.

1. Frame
do you guys think i should Buy a pre built frame? or build my own?
if i did, id try to find an oldish racing kart frame (a cheep racing one basically) and mod that to work with X (see below for engine choices) engine.
the problem with me building my own would be i have NO idea how to weld, and don't have access to a welder and so i thought a racing frame would be my best bet, or have some one build me one for me.

2. components.
I'm looking not for the necessarily BEST, but i want them to last, and be strong so i don't need to upgrade later if i decide to change engines or want more power.
i was thinking along the lines of some nice hydraulic racing breaks so its easy to route the lines, and racing wheels and slicks. aswell as one of those nice big solid Axel's that racing karts use.
if i don't use a racing kart frame, how could i go about mounting that huge Axel etc.

3 Engines.
this is what I'm going to be spending most of my money on. now heres some choices i have.
Diesel: okay, I'm for some reason in love with diesel, and they finally have some CHEAP *** clone diesel engines with electric start and all that good stuff, but! would it A. Fit on the racing kart frame, and B. would it be to heavy to mount like a racing kart engine (to one side of the kart). the other down side, I'm sure theres little to NO modding things for these engines, but then again they come out of box with 10 HP and like 15 LBS of torque.
Briggs Flat head: of course the good ol Briggs 5 hp flat head. parts galore, runs no matter what (hell we got one to run on just propane with no carb!) this is a no brainier "easy" way out except for one thing. the parts can get up there in price, and i don't want to run on alcohol, and have to have a pull start, not the racing style start system. and with those 2 things a must to not use, i wouldn't expect more than 8 hp out of it (guess).

Blue "box stock" clone engines: of course they are cheap, can be built up cheap. what more to ask for?

now, I'm leaning toward diesel or the blue engine. but i really don't know what i wanna do yet. OH also, i want to use a torque converter setup for sure

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Consider a motorbike engine. You get gears and a clutch, and the bike you buy will probably also come with a disc brake, caliper and master cylinder. AND you get the sprockets and chain.
Also, it would be faster and the clutch just about never fails unlike centrifugal clutches.

Over here you can get a damaged Honda CT110 which has about 7hp and 4 speed WITH a centrifugal (automatic) clutch for $250AUD. Google says that's about $150 USD.
The reason they're so cheap is that postmen use them and there are thousands around.

Mounting the axle is easy. Go to a bearing supply house and get bearings for the axle with a grubscrew on them, and get a housing for them. You just drill holes in the frame (or weld tabs on and drill them, much better idea) and bolt the housings on. However, do not just rely on the grub screws in the bearings to stop the axle sliding sideways.

I don't know enough about frames to have any useful ideas. Good luck!

Jblankster

Reaction score
i was thinking about a bike engine aswell. actually. im suprised i forgot about it. yeah again. it would be all about mountibility to X frame. and Fab work, which i cant do LOL

Jblankster

Reaction score
hmm what would be better for a bike engine? a water cooled 4 stroke or an air cooler 2 stroke?

OR an air cooled 4 stroke?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
best to worst
1. Air cooled 2 storke
2. Water cooled 2 stroke
4, air cooled 4 stroke
4. water cooled 4 stroke

Water makes more power but involves a lot more setup.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Hehe, I just knew someone would say that.
But really, most shifter karts use 125cc's and they get along at REALLY high speed and with REALLY good acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.