What are the best tweeks to make to a Honda GX160

Status
Not open for further replies.

marriott1066

Tinkerer
Reaction score
Hi there I'm new here, I've had a few karts over the years and was recently given a dingo, which i'm working on in the near future. However My question is what would you all say are the best things to do to a Gx160 as ive never really uprated these engine in this size a few 390's but not the smaller one, and any kart ive had has had a flat head briggs in :) any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
:cheers2:

theo

Reaction score
I have been following threads on racers using honda clones and they claim that there is no problem with them. So using these in a yard kart should be no problem and they are much cheaper then the honda.
Remove the governer, install a aftermarket air filter, header and install a 5 deg. flywheel key and go run it. If it blows up so what go out and buy a new one they are cheap. I don't know of anyone who has blown up one of these engines, unless its from poor maintenance.

theo :2guns:

l0ll00l

Reaction score
You know what you're dealing with when you buy a clone as well. Buddy of mine has a clone, and has beaten the everloving crap out of it. Guess what, still runs beautifully. If the GX340 I have dies, you better believe I'll be getting a clone instead of a grossly overpriced Honda. As theo said, so what if it dies? You can buy several clones for the price of a single Honda, and will likely not have any problems with them.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
fair enough. i bought my clone because it was a choice of a well used gx160, or a close to new gx200 clone, so i thought, 1 hp more, and it will last a lot longer, go for it!

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
I'd love to find a piece of power equipment with a Genuine Honda Engine. I'd replace the Genuine with a New Clone, and sell the Genuine engine for more $$$ than the Clone = Profit and New Engine.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
turbo maybe... lol no seriously the real deal is tough! mine came from a well used industrial air compressor (free), i left it 6 years not running now it's on my shopping cart and i blew 1 clutch on it, still runnig like a new!

kart_racer20

Reaction score
the honda gx160 parts will fit in a clone motor and i have expirence with them i run one on my racing kart and don't have a problem with it runs good and i'm pushing every bit 5400 rpms with a 12-60 gear ratio i hope this help some

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
Empirical evidence suggests that de-governing a 6.5hp clone will not cause the motor to fail in anyway, be it a busted rod or exploded flywheel. Valve float is a natural rev limiter. Not everybody agree's with this, but this is the evidence at hand.

I believe that if you are to de-gov ANY engine, clone or otherwise, THEN modify the engine for more RPM, you should get a billet flywheel. Price and availability rules this out if you aren't close to America, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.