Welding and frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexmatt

Reaction score
Planning to start my kart build, and I finished drawing out my frame.
Here it is:

(Sorry, for some reason I can’t upload a picture)
https://imgur.com/a/uY1aaT7
It is going to be approx. 66 inches long and 45 wide (from the outer corners of each wheel.) With 1”x 1” 11ga square steel tubing, will this frame be ridged enough to hold itself and (at most) maybe an additional 220lbs (including driver)? If not, what changes can I make to add rigidity? Does anybody have any tips on welding the tubing?
Thanks!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Wow, extra large text!

Here's your design:

slicksonly

Mechanical Member
Reaction score
Frame & welding;
your frame drawing, looks like the 1/24 scale slot cars that I have built. 11 gauge tubing is 0.112 through 0.122 thickness with your weight load of 220 lb. will hold you well. Godzila could ride around on a frame that was 0.095 thickness.

Welding??&&$$
stick welding, 3/32 6011 - 3/32 7018 stick, butt joints tight you will get over 75% penetration

Wire welding .030 to .045 th. wire, butt joints tight you will get you over 75% penetration.

Try to jig weld your frame the best you can to hold, tack weld every thing together, than weld random.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'd suggest .030 wire at the most. 6013 electrodes for stick welding is what people used for years before wirefeed welding took over. Still, it is used for sheet metal work. 6011 is used in place of 6010 fast freeze electrodes if you only have an A/C stick welder and not one that can run in DCEP (direct current electrode posetive). 7018 are good for structural welding, but need to be stored in a electrode oven at 250F when not in use, as to keep them dry. 7014 is a good substitute for 7018, especially if proper storage is not available.

Welding tubing is pretty easy, especially square tubing. Lay it out on say a plywood jig and use screws or other pieces of wood anchored to the plywood to hold the steel in place. Make sure that work area is level, otherwise, you'll be fighting to keep the build level, and could end up being crooked.

I'd also recommend practicing on some extra pieces of the material you'll be building with to get your settings, travel speed, and all that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.