Want to build my first kart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolt

Reaction score
I've read all over this site and many others and am ready to start buying parts. What should i expect to pay for all my metal, parts except the engine. It will be a one seater, i would like to put suspension on it but i've heard thats hard to do. And the engine will most likely be 5hp. thanks, help me in any way you know!

Also i saw these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40729

Would those even work on a go kart, there SOO cheap. thanks again everyone.

dpaxson

Reaction score
i built my first kart for about $75 but thats with garbage picked metal and alot of redneck engineering lol. it works though. the wheels were $5 harbor freight wheels and the clutch chain and sprocket were about 40ish from somewhere on the internet

spudkilla224

Reaction score
be careful about those harbour frieght tires, my friend used them on his homemade yard-kart and so far when i was driving it we've blown out about 4 tires, they'll work good for a slow paced start, but if you want to do burn-outs get some better tires from like a gokart supply shop.

the problem with those tires is that the rims spin inside the tire, and it breaks the bead, which in the end shears the schrader valve right off.

and don't use the slick type tread tires, use the knobby treaded ones, you'll get alot more traction. trust me :thumbsup:

Revolt

Reaction score
Thanks man, that sucks. I guess i'll have to spend like 100 on tires alone. ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.