Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
New software-
I've been playing with some new software that is pretty cool. That's a possibility fairly soon. Better for phones, more modern, etc. (This has been mentioned in another couple of posts, and thanks again to Lyfesaver for the awesome donation). I've already demo'd it with the mods and done some testing with our data.

FAQ-
We've been organizing the FAQ info to preserve and promote good posts that have been made that people can benefit from.

Logo-
We added the new logo to the top of the forum. (ooooh, ahhhhhhh! LOL Big deal, I know...) With a new forum software things will change more significantly but I figured that we've had the logo, we should be using it!

Shirts / Stickers-
If you want a tshirt or a sticker with the new logo, see: http://www.diygokarts.com/tshirts.html

That's it for the quick update. :2guns:

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
OK , yesterday I could see the logo in the header....... Today, its gone......? What's up with that? I admit I am looking through 2 different tablets, but should still see the same thing.....

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
hehe.. I got to see xenforo powered diygk..
and here's a few things I noticed.

1. the db-converter hasn't included the post-thanks table, so that data will be lost if not added manually. thanks->likes
  2. internal links with [thread]/[post] - tag are not converted
  3. internal links per url will not work because of the different script-names.
  4. just knowing the thread/post id might, or might not get you to where you want to go because of...
  5. SEO links .. partly at least... that's a whole new set of issues if the settings are not perfect, hopefully it can at least be fully deacticvated.
  6. inlined -attachments do not work anymore... (post layouts / references will be lost)
  7. yt- videos are no longer integrated but just links (just a plugin I guess)
  8. xenforo-scripts crashes vintage browsers (I haven't looked into it.. I assume it's he facebook crap) Firefox 1.5 cannot disable nor run the javascripts and just locks up with "script not responding..disable?" messages for example.
  9. 'funny' additional characters at some double line breaks (see my motor essence thread for example)
  10. Attachments themselves are not yet accessible so the popup remains blank.
  11. Attachment- metadata takes up 2-3 times more space than the actual attachment and offers nearly no valuable information (name size viewcount)
    especially in mobile-view that's annoying
I could go on, but that should do for now.

And now the looks..
I like "light" layouts a lot better than dark ones..
but white on white without alternating colors between posts and just that tiny little light blue line.. that makes it hard to differentiate between posts at least for me.
at least a full color postbit might help *shrugs*

full page width is great.. on small screens.
On large screens reading one of the numerous "I'm on my phone so I don't do paragraphs" posts
are very hard to follow.. (see the rotax piston port thread for example)
So I'd say a toggle at the bottom (as in vb) to switch between full screen and condensed (like we have now) would be nice

Trebuchet instead of Verdana... as the default font.. that's a shame.
especially with larger size it's "less modern" that's 1990s...

WYSIWYG editor... okay, I can't even say how much I "like" a WYSIWYG without risking another ban,
so I hope there's a toggle to switch it off.
There is a reason (I guess) you turned it off in vb here...
and if I have a vote.. it should be off in any other software as well (since the result is always the same...)

and finally the very minor emoticons issue.. missing emoticons, original set is... uhm... for girls younger than 14 ;)

So yeah.. fairly soon?
I hope not.. there's still a lot of work to be done to make it fully functional, even apart from the cosmetics.

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That test was simply a data test. Attachments were fine but later I deleted them. Takes up 6 gigs! But, Yep, TONS of stuff to do. But thanks for the list, you combed over it pretty well! :thumbsup:

The Thanks vs Like thing might get tricky. Like is easier to give, Thanks seems a little more important. But in the end maybe they just get converted. I'd like to think about that some more.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I see.. I thought you just mapped the folders...
So, the attachments are still inlined as they're now?
cool..

The links.. I'm sure I could fix those more or less easily.
either by replacing all of them, or by replacing just the absulute-urls and write a plugin that parses [thread] and [post] tags, just like vb does out of the box.
(I thought xenforo can do that as well.. even prettier than vb.. *shrugs* or was that wbb?? I can't remember)

Anyways, if you need a hand with converting post or post_thanks tables to any other format,
just drop me a line; I'm sure I can provide you with a script to do that with nothing but a click of a button ;)

And yes, for some unknown reason *cough cough* I had a bit of time to take at least a little bit of a closer look at xenforo the last two days :lolgoku:

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Non computer geeks -- feel free to ignore what we're jabbering about!!! :wai:

The links should map without too much trouble. It's some regex / htaccess work, but we'll cross the bridge when needed. Though.... Hmm. It would be nice to actually update the database, instead of doing it via mod_rewrite, which is what I was thinking... Hmm.

For the folders -- the update script imports them and puts them wherever it puts them. I didn't spend too much time looking at it since the server hit 98% capacity, so I dumped them!

I don't think I adequately explained Thanks vs Like --

I "like" the idea of "liking" a post, but somehow calling it "Thanks" seems like a better choice for our group. It's no problem to just sub out the word in the script, though I wonder if we should have both.. Anyway something to mull over.

WYSIWYG -- there should be a couple options like here, but that's about it IMO.

Can you comment on these two? PM me a link or something, I'm not sure what we're talking about.

1. inlined -attachments do not work anymore... (post layouts / references will be lost)
  2. internal links with [thread]/[post] - tag are not converted

I think #2 you mean something like http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showpost.php?p=354740&postcount=6 won't work, is that it, or another issue?

If it is that, I believe that's something that might no be possible to map. Check how there are post ID's, but not 1,2,3,4,5,6 type ID's. Might need to dig into it. In the database there must be an order table, but it may be more work than anyone wants to do to write a script that would take that postcount=6 url, and map that to the correct post. Dunno.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
well fixing links in the database is a single load.. mod rewrite is a constant load..
so yeah.. I was always editing the db rather than rewriting links on the fly..
but that's up to you.

I think I can explain both questions with a simple example:
[URL="https://www.diygokarts.com/community/index.php?posts/348949/"]This for example[/URL]
currently renders to this:
This for example

same goes for thread tags...
[URL="https://www.diygokarts.com/community/index.php?threads/27973/"]like this one[/URL]
renders to:
like this one

inline attachments seem to work on some occasions, but not on others.. maybe that's a browser issue, not an actual xenforo issue..
the last post I checked (see above) it worked *shrugs* I remember seeing a post where it didn't earlier (different machine though)

And no it's not the postcount number inside a specific thread, it's the absolute post-id inside the database, the unique number (showpost?p=<post-id>) that's required, even now ..

the thread/post-tag does not (again see above post ... ?threads/brake-problem.27973/)

'sid

[EDIT]
So quick WYSIWYG test...
non wysiwyg input:
PHP:
[font=Verdana]
[list=1]
[*]First
[*]Second
[*]Third
[/list]
[/font]

toggled wysiwyg on/off for three times (without touching the content)...
and the bbcode result is this
PHP:
[FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT]
[LIST=1]
[*]
[FONT=Verdana]
[LIST]
[*]First
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Second
[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Third
[/LIST][/FONT]
[/LIST]

Uhm yeah.. wysiwyg as usual.. messing up the posts
I really hate that :censored: thing.. on both ends...

Status
Not open for further replies.