Unrelated electric solar phone project

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvaner

IT CAN AND WILL BE MADE
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks and I just found out there will be no electricity or generators.
So I had some solar panels lying around and hooked them up.
They generate 1.2v each but when all 4 are hooked up it generates about 4v altogether.

I want to make a phone charger out of them, I know it will take a long time to charge the phone with only 4v but its a must have.

Anyway does anybody have any tips on how to hook this thing up? Its going to be charging a Nokia E71 so its the standard small Nokia charger.

Any pointers or guides would be very helpful.
Thank you

Attachments

• PC300228.jpg
    PC300228.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 12

dpaxson

Reaction score
my only advice is to be careful. I tried to make an ipod charger and i fried my ipod. if you have the original charger see what voltage it is putting out and make sure the voltage from your solar panel never goes above that level.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
so wait your goin on vacation to a place with no electricity..... WHY thats like going from califoria to wanting to live in etheopia...

Smurph

Code Poet
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with freakboy, If you wanna go on vacation, go on vacation. Can't you live a week without a phone?

Also. Voltage is one part of charging. My blackberry NEVER sees more than 5v (USB line). You better make sure your amperage is well controlled. I wouldn't go without a 1amp fuse. and I'm just throwing a number out there. Definitely check the output on your actual charger, it should give you the output that you need

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
use a 7805 voltage regulator... i once made a mp3 player charger with one of these and it worked pretty well! max A on these is 1AMP

sylvaner

IT CAN AND WILL BE MADE
Reaction score
I'm going camping on some river in Australia for a month and I'm 18 and the parents get worried. There is phone reception where I am going.. just no electricity, thanks for the replies.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
follow my link.. a step up transformer and a car charger..

i think the input current from the solar panel is too small to make this circuit work... you'll need a bigger solar panel

what is the output voltage on youe phone charger... if its 5v then there is no need to go ftom 5v to 12v then to 5v again, there would be a big energy loss

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
go buy a solar power battery maintainer @ HF or Northern Tool like 10-15 bux and get a small battery BAMM cheap problem SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.