Trailmaster MB200-2 Air Filter solution needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dars55

Reaction score
I've started to pick up parts for modifying my MB200-2 (see my original thread here), and I've run into a problem pretty quickly.

I bought an air filter and aluminum adapter and when installed, it became clear that this style of filter will not work with this mini bike frame. Once installed, the filter is directly in the way of my right leg when using the rear foot pegs. This bike has 2 sets of footpegs: the front set puts you in a cruiser position, and the rear set puts you in an upright position. I use the rear set almost exclusively, so having the filter in the way is not an option. I took it back off and put the stock filter back on.

What I need is an adapter that will come off the carb and turn towards the rear of the bike, not out towards the side. I am only finding adapters like the one I bought and I am not having luck finding one that turns - it looks like I need about a 45 degree angle - something like my sketch that's attached.

Does anyone have a source for a filter adapter like this?

Attachments

• Filter sketch.jpg
    Filter sketch.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2

dars55

Reaction score
Best I could come up with without buying a different carb or making something out of pvc/silicon/rubber tubing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angled-Fabr...cc-/182747234676?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Thanks Bob - yes, I have one of these angled filters. The problem is that after attaching the adapter to the carb, then attaching the angled filter it is sticking out the side of the mini bike. On most mini bikes that's not a problem but on the MB200-2, this is exactly where my leg is. I've spoken with gopowersports and they are aware of this issue but don't have a solution.

I'll need an adapter that comes off the carb and turns the direction rearwards - that's the only way I can see this working. Like you mentioned, I may end up having to fabricate something...

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I definitely want to see pics of the air filter interference with the bike frame. I am positive others do too. :cool:

These bikes are still rather new and all...

mckutzy

Reaction score
Why not use some PVC end caps and short 90* fittings, To redirect intake...
People have already used the end cap trick with a fare amount of success .. I'm sure the 90 won't hurt flow...

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
For a 79cc. Maybe it could be adapted if it won't fit. Couldn't find just the filter or any specs.

Attachments

• jj.jpg
    jj.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1
  • jjj.jpg
    jjj.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 3

dars55

Reaction score
For a 79cc. Maybe it could be adapted if it won't fit. Couldn't find just the filter or any specs.

I like the look of that filter with the integrated 90. Thank you all for the ideas. I was down a rabbit hole looking for an engineered solution and wasn't thinking about DIYing it. I'm handy. I can do this if needed.

I will photograph my journey for everyone to see. This is a known issue with this model and I'm guessing that someone is going to begin manufacturing an adapter that will work on this bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.