the little engine that could

Status
Not open for further replies.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
i was working on one of my older engines yesterday. i tried to pull start it an nothing happened. so i used some carb stuff and sprayed some in the carb. I also swap spark plugs with one of my mower. i tried it again and the engine pops. i backfired some through the carb and the exhaust pipe. it sounds like the engine is coughing and tryin to start. what i am goin to do is get a new spark plug. but my question is shouls i change my gas and oil since it has been sittin in there for months? the gas don't look sluggy or smells to old. is there any thing else i could try to help start the engine easier?:confused:

Pito

Reaction score
must have been lying around a while fuel is the first thing i would freshen up next check for spark at the plug by holding it to earth on the motor & pull the starter cod should be a spark there as the motor turns over if not check points or field coil at the flywheel good luck i think you will get there let me know if this helps

Last edited:

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
clean the carb,get some carb cleaner(not the spray) from an autopart store,and soak it overnight.replace the spark plug also.check for spark,and gas.if it still just backfires there is probably a valve stuck(if its a 4 stroke).but jus do the basics first then report back

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
Last edited:

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
It shouldn't scrape the flywheel anywhere. It should be equidistant from the flywheel all around. I don't know the exact measurements but something along the lines of a creditcard thickness or so.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
what i do is loosen up the bolts holding that on and get matchbooks and open them and slip them between the flywheel and coil. Tighten bolts and it should be good. If it scrapes is some spots then your flywheel may be mesed up.

Jblankster

Reaction score
its the carb. clean/replace it. gas in there for that long with out any additives messed it up. change the diaphragm, all of that. make sure there are no holes in the tank etc. your havin a similiar problem to my briggs.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
how would i go about cleaning the carb. by the car cleaner(spray)? thats the only way i know. no holes in the tank and is the gap suposed to be .006 right? i think. so i don't need any starter fluid?

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
take the carb off the engine,take out the diaphram and inspect that to see if its in good condition,if its not,replace it,there about 1-2$.next take out all the needles and fill up a tupperware big enough for the carb with some cleaning solvent and let it soak overnight(you can also go to a auto parts store and get carb cleaner soak) letting it soak will remove all of the laquered (gummed up) gas in the jets etc then blow through te holes with compressed air.reassemble and put back on engine

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
i opened the crank case and guess what i found....... metal like it was balled up like paper. this metal piece was so distorted i still don't know what it is. i will have pics soon. i also regapped the coil and magneto, got fresh gas, fresh oil, new racing series spark plug, and a little elbow grease. tomorrow i will fire it up or try to and i will keep yall posted.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
engine is catadtrophic failure. its done. i tried to crank it and it blew. plain and simple. waste of my money to try and fix. it just went boom! now i need a new engine

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I'm wondering if that metal you were talking about were the piston rings maybe?

Maybe you should rename the title of this thread: "The little engine that couldn't" :p

Last edited:

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
funny but no that was not the rings it was too big and too wide for piston rings and too thick. all bolts was torqued to spec an all. anyway i am lookin at harbor freight tools now.

Status
Not open for further replies.