Taming a Doodlebug!

jonbenderr

Reaction score
Hello all!

So I have a Baja Doodlebug that I acquired last summer. The engine on it was a predator 212 with a bunch of upgrades. I actually pulled that off and dropped it on my go kart, took the go kart engine (Tecumseh 6hp) and dropped it on the bike with a torque converter.

It's just to much power on the thing and it wheelie's almost from the get.

It's a ten tooth sprocket on the tc to a 60 on the axle.

Any suggestions for getting this thing to a nice cruiser speed and chill out the acceleration? Gearing? Smaller engine?

If going back to clutch is a solution, I wouldn't mind, as long as I could avoid burning them up like crazy.

I'm about 240 lbs and this thing still want to toss me off.

I don't care about speed, it would be nice to get it up a hill every now and then though. :)

Last edited:

ShoppingCart

Reaction score
Hello all!

So I have a Baja Doodlebug that I acquired last summer. The engine on it was a predator 212 with a bunch of upgrades. I actually pulled that off and dropped it on my go kart, took the go kart engine (Tecumseh 6hp) and dropped it on the bike with a torque converter.

It's just to much power on the thing and it wheelie's almost from the get.

It's a ten tooth sprocket on the tc to a 60 on the axle.

Any suggestions for getting this thing to a nice cruiser speed and chill out the acceleration? Gearing? Smaller engine?

If going back to clutch is a solution, I wouldn't mind, as long as I could avoid burning them up like crazy.

I'm about 240 lbs and this thing still want to toss me off.

I don't care about speed, it would be nice to get it up a hill every now and then though. :)
Go 10-45.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Too much work and maybe extra expense for sprockets in changing to something that isn't a sure thing.
Better to jump strong right from the start and cure the current problem, undesirable wheelies from a standstill, and he says speed isn't important. 10:45 (4.5:1) ratio is more sure to get that done than any ratio that's higher.
If more speed becomes desirable later, only then would it be time to experiment with higher ratios.