Subaru E17 Engine

Murphy9190

Reaction score
I was given a Manco 169cc Magnum Express 606 go cart for my kids. It says 6.5hp. It has a Robin Subaru EX17 engine identified with with SN#: 1018602 and Engine Model #EX170D500105657. The engine family is 2FJXS. 1691GA. It stopped running, and the kid was working on it... I got it missing the air filter assembly and it probably needs a carb rebuild. My problem is identifying the precise Air Filter Assembly that goes on this thing. Searches for the SN and Model # turn up nothing. Some assemblies shown have the filter pad and some have the standard oval filter. My question is, are all EX17 air filter assemblies interchangeable or do I need to identify the precise year/SN/Model# etc. for proper fitment. Sorry to bug you guys with this, but I am striking out here and can't tell what other parts may be missing to make sure I can bolt everything up. Any advice?

Murphy9190

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I have seen those. There are 3 different types of air filters in that picture. What I do not know is if they all bolt up the same, I can't tell which one is correct unless I can identify the engine via SN or Model#. The whole air filter assembly is missing so I have no reference. Evidently there are over a hundred or even hundreds of models of EX17 engines and one has to assume some changes occurred from the original to the late models. I think. My question is, does anyone know if they all bolt up the same and are interchangeable or do I need to identify the specific model?

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I have seen those. There are 3 different types of air filters in that picture. What I do not know is if they all bolt up the same, I can't tell which one is correct unless I can identify the engine via SN or Model#. The whole air filter assembly is missing so I have no reference. Evidently there are over a hundred or even hundreds of models of EX17 engines and one has to assume some changes occurred from the original to the late models. I think. My question is, does anyone know if they all bolt up the same and are interchangeable or do I need to identify the specific model?
Is the bolt hole vertical or horizontal?
How much space is there where you could imagine the filter going? Air filtration is important, but if the engine is bogging you can replace the filter itself with a lighter one, or just make your own using material like this: air filters | McMaster-Carr

Murphy9190

Reaction score
Thanks. I know there are "creative" options like a clamp-on racing filter, but trying to stick with factory type parts for the sake of simplicity however, it's not turning out so simple, so your idea might be best. It's a Mikuni carb, but since I cannot identify the precise year/engine I can't access a schematic that shows the proper carb part number, which is the same problem with the air cleaner. I can look at the carb and see if it matches a picture so no worries there, but I do not have the air filter to look at and match to. At any rate, the bolt hole pattern is horizontal and the "proper" housing has the standard lettering for fast. slow idle. Of the housings shown above, I believe the proper housing is either the Top Left or Top Right but if you notice at the bottom "260" and "220" point of each diagram, there is a quarter round plastic leg that bolts onto the carb studs and secures both the filter assembly and the carb. They all look basically the same but each has a separate different way of filtering air and MAY have different alignments with other points and fastening locations. I saw a video where a guy was trying to fix up an EX17 with parts from another and when he put on the air assembly, the carb studs were not threaded out far enough to bolt up. I believe the model I need is the Upper Left foam pad filter, but have not been able to verify that, and that particular assembly is hard to find. It would be best to order the one on the Upper Right as that is a popular assembly, but I don't know if they are interchangeable., which is what I was hoping someone here could tell me. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Genuinely appreciate it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I can’t see why any of the setups wouldn’t be interchangeable. It wouldn’t make sense to have different ways of mounting cast into the head or block.

Murphy9190

Reaction score
Pics, yeah... I thought about those prior to this post as I agree most times pics should be provided when requesting help. The nature of this issue is I am asking for actual knowledge, experience or expertise applicable to the specific question and am not asking someone to figure it out for me. Though I genuinely appreciate any figuring effort, the nature of the problem does not allow much for "figuring." I can figure for myself. The proper answer relies upon knowledge, experience or expertise. I can't send you a pic of the assembly 'cause I don't have one. I can include pics of my engine without an assembly. What does that tell you? Does that tell you which one fits it? I look at it all the time and it don't tell me that. I have already provided all identifying numbers and markings. I can gather up pictures of the different assembly's but if that helped, I would already have the problem solved. So sorry, I did not include pics for the simple reason I was not tasking anyone with research but rather, just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer, real quick. I kind of agree with Denny though, I can't find any buyer complaints about the wrong assembly and typically there is a "close enough" match on these things. I'll just order one and see. That will tell me all or most of what I need to know. I mean, the fact that no one here knows this answer might serve to indicate fitment is not a problem. Thank you gentlemen, very much and have a great weekend.

Reaction score
Pics, yeah... I thought about those prior to this post as I agree most times pics should be provided when requesting help. The nature of this issue is I am asking for actual knowledge, experience or expertise applicable to the specific question and am not asking someone to figure it out for me. Though I genuinely appreciate any figuring effort, the nature of the problem does not allow much for "figuring." I can figure for myself. The proper answer relies upon knowledge, experience or expertise. I can't send you a pic of the assembly 'cause I don't have one. I can include pics of my engine without an assembly. What does that tell you? Does that tell you which one fits it? I look at it all the time and it don't tell me that. I have already provided all identifying numbers and markings. I can gather up pictures of the different assembly's but if that helped, I would already have the problem solved. So sorry, I did not include pics for the simple reason I was not tasking anyone with research but rather, just wanted to see if anyone knew the answer, real quick. I kind of agree with Denny though, I can't find any buyer complaints about the wrong assembly and typically there is a "close enough" match on these things. I'll just order one and see. That will tell me all or most of what I need to know. I mean, the fact that no one here knows this answer might serve to indicate fitment is not a problem. Thank you gentlemen, very much and have a great weekend.
Pics of where the missing assembly attaches would help greatly in providing clues as to the shape of the assembly. YOU did that, based off of you being able to tell which of the four EZcomeEZgo posted would be most likely to fit. Just because you cant figure heads or tails doesn't mean someone else cant. Always post as much info as you can, anything can be the key to success

Rat

Reaction score
There was no reason to get uppity over it.

I also agree with Denny, the point in the pic was to confirm the engine design because I know enough to know what is needed at a glance in most situations involving engines missing a few things, and I only research when I'm debating doing something potentially stupid with my own projects, or if someone else's inspired me to do something stupid.

As of late I have been considering a T15 turbo, but I know that's going to require more work to work than I want to fuss with.

If it is as I suspect, designed just the same as any other 196, 208, 210, 212, or 224 engine based on the Honda GX160/GX200 then ANY airbox and filter assembly for such an engine is going to be a direct fit.

The only difference between a 196cc block/head and a 208 block/head is smaller head chamber and ports, and a 68mm bore instead of 70mm. Likewise the only difference between a 208 and a 212 is 1mm of swept bore.

If it is an OHC block like the Honda GC series, that's a whole different bag of nuts.

Rat

Reaction score
Due to the unwillingness (and unnecessary bullfukery) in being cooperative with images, I looked the engine up.

Exactly as I expected it is in fact the same 35° bore OHV base block used for Honda GX's and every single subsequent GX platform clone from 167cc to 240cc at the least so literally ANY cheap GX160/GX200 airbox and filter kit will fit and function perfectly by default of design