Starting stopped working, but starter is spinning

AndyAndyAndy

Reaction score
Starter on motorcycle. Three or four times it was hard to start motorcycle (but started) and then it didn't start anymore.

(Kick start starts it. And motorcycle rides as usual. )

I checked relay and it is working correctly. Starter is getting full 12,6V when activated. And has good ground. When you activate it you can hear it spinning. I pulled it out of engine and I can see it spinning (I also think it is spinning while inside under load, as I can hear the same sound). But it doesn't start the motorcycle. All the teeth on starter seemed OK, the opposite wheel too (is it engaging the flywheel?).

It is really confusing for me. What is the problem if everything seems OK?

I know could look under the cover inside the engine and maybe I would see something. But I don't have gasket to close it back again and this bike is a daily ride.... . That's why I didn't go in yet.

It is this starter anyway, it doesn't have that relay on the top (or whatever it is) that actives it.

5f5ee7404190f02132764042409fd48a.jpg

Last edited:

rockman96

Reaction score
Probably the battery doesn't have enough *** to turn it. Thats usually the issue on bikes, lots of vibration kills 'em. Put a meter on it and see what it drops to when you hit the starter button.
If voltage is not dropping and nothing is happening, it could be the solenoid, or the switch, or something in that leg of the system.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
it could be the starter clutch on the starter gear. i don't know but hearing this that would be my guess

rockman96

Reaction score
I really need to start reading the entire titles in these threads. Probably what KoK said

AndyAndyAndy

Reaction score
it could be the starter clutch on the starter gear. i don't know but hearing this that would be my guess

Yes, we have a winner!

It seems like a magneto rotor has a clutch, that is engaging and disengaging starter motor. 2 out of 3 weight are completely gone. Third is on it's way out. Already missing golden spring and is cracked.

I remember 2 years ago changing oil and pulling out of filter that golden spring. Wondering where it is from. That's when the first one had to fail.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

AndyAndyAndy

Reaction score
good thing that little pin did not get stick up in anything!

One pin was still in clutch. One pin was found under the magneto. And third pin is missing. (y) I just fixed it with new expensive original parts. I hope third pin found some comfy place somewhere and has on intensions getting between some moving parts, blocking some oil passage or something. Pins failed one by one (clutch will work with even a single pin+spring) so these 2 pins were broken maybe for a years. I don't stress about it.