Spray paint Hydrodipping My Bella Scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The videos you posted were with a different type of paint which behave differently. I've done quite a few pieces with just singe dips and it still has some texture. The multiple dips actually work out pretty good because it gives it randomness instead of the basic pattern you see all the time. The clear helps smooth it out.

TeeShark

Reaction score
I've tried hydro dips with all kinds of spray paints with little success. The patterns turn out great but the bumpy, uneven texture makes 1 **** of ugly final paint job. Imho... I have only seen 1 type of hyrdro dips that actually laid down like paint should on an object. I'm not sure which brand it was but it was professional grade acrylic paints that you pore into the water. The colors naturally laid on top of the water in an even layer and did not.blend too bad either.

I tell you 1 great looking paint job you can do with rattle can spray paints is the "water drop" effect. These always turn out looking very cool imho and with all the different colors available the possibilities are endless. Wish I had so pics of my RC boats I painted a year ago (3 phones ago... lol). However, here is a link to a YouTube video to give you the basics. It's best to use the darkest and lightest colors for contrast on the water drop effect. For example white/black (if you want boring drops. Lol). I like to use metallic silver for my light color or white. I always make a few test runs before I decide what my final colors will be... old desktop PC cases make great sample test sprays. Good luck.

Here is the link to the video I like the most for how to do the water drop effect although it's over simplified, made in Japan I think but as long as you remember this important tip you will get awesome results. After the base coat is dry, you will need to pick a light color and a dark color. The angle you should be spraying at is almost level with what you are paint. If you spray down at a sharp angle your paint wont stick to 1 side of the water drops and the results will suffer. Same for the 2nd color. Move around to opposite side so that you are spraying the 2nd color in the opposite direction of the 1st color. Basically the idea is to get 1 color on 1 side of the water droplets and the 2nd color on the opposite side. You can go heavy or light as you wish, noting the heavier you spray the water drop colors the more your overall project will turn those colors, covering up a lot of your base coat. So if you really want to keep your base color as the prominent color of your project. Just make 2-3 quick passes for each side of the drops. That's it and that's all folks. Peace..

https://youtu.be/8nVpGer9zl0

Status
Not open for further replies.