Skylar representing the 519 - Nitro, S-Charged, stand up drag race scooter project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylartjsayers

Reaction score
I need Help with a CVT or snowmobile type trany and thats why I found this forum. I am pretty knowledgeable in many aspect and so I plan on helping others. I have already made several hopefully helpful posts. I have experimented with nitromethane in 2 strokes and realilstic superchargers. Here is some backround on my insane project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need help about choosing and best harnessing a cvt transmission like the ones used on snowmobiles, jr dragsters and atv's. I know this is long but please read it. --- Here is some backround. I am building an extremely fast drag racing goped/stand up scooter as I was inspired by this famous vid that almost everyone has seen and voiced their opinion about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ1nEwQnOS0

This next video made me know it was possible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178eO...eature=related

I believe that I can build one on a reasonable budget. I already have two local business sponsors!! I have had a motor donated and a small engine supercharger. ($$$) I plan on documenting my build and success if it sparks anyones interest. Pretty well this build will resemble a jr dragster build, but I am learning lots from go kart builds too. The stand up scooter/goped I am using was designed for off road and touring. The only part I am reusing is the frame and I have refabed it for my aplication (safety first) ---- While a complete overhaul and beef up on the engine is underway I have been contemplating what kind of clutch to use. The cintrifical clutches are rated for 8hp and I hope to see my 4.5 kill that when I am done. I am running the thing on Nitro/alchohol for peat sake. That is another thing I have expermented with if anyone is interested. Also a singal clutch requires the right gearing yes but even then it will not harness the hp as a transmision with varible ratio's. I could buy a motor with a built in 5 speed (dirt bike) but I am interested in using my sponsored 2 stroke motor. (I did say I am harnessing a reaonable budget too) I have been told that you can replace the bearings in a heavier metal bike derailer and use that but given my expected hp I would need a new one after every race day if not a few races. I have explained my plans to the owner of a snowmobile shop because I was looking for sponsorship. He said he did not want to deal outside of the snowmobile community but he did take time to show and explain to me how a cvt transmision works on a snowmobile. He then proceeded to show me a cvt in a Bombardier Rally 200 atv he had beside the shop and I knew the cvt was what I needed. I have found a pair of Bombardier Rally clutches (just the primary and secondary - no belt, case or spline) for 200 dollars which is resonable compared to 600 dollars brand new. Now this is harnessing a cvt off an atv with equal cc and so I am sure it will work. I am not fond of the price though. I did find a cvt off an jr dragster but it looks like a toy compared to the bombardiers. I am not sure it is rated for my application. It is slightly cheaper I know cvt's are successfully harnessed on jr dragsters and go karts and so if anyone knows of any ideal product, has some tips about utilizing a cvt or interest in my project please post.

Status
Not open for further replies.