Robert's Bar Stool Racer, Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For this update, I'll talk about installing some steering components and getting the bar stool installed.

The bar stool came along nicely. In my last project report, I had a (more or less) rolling chassis.

My next steps were to:

1) build the steering riser and handlebar
2) get the bar stool mounted to the frame

First I mocked up where the bar stool would sit, and decided on an appropriate height for the steering riser. As I'm a pretty tall guy, I wanted to ensure that my knees would clear the handlebar, and that I had the bar stool in the "right" place.

I decided on leaving around 5-6 inches between the bar stool's front legs and the front axle.

I've seen designs that incorporate a foot rest in front of the front axle, and others that you rest your feet on/just above the front axle. My thoughts were that I didn't want to place the stool too far backward, or forward. I elected to mock it up about even between the front and back axle.

The steering wasn't an easy question. I wanted to use a Pitman arm that was protected from damage in a sheathe of some kind. I'd like to think that I'll never wreck this thing, but in reality, it's better to over-engineer the strength of something as necessary as steering.

My solution was this: I used a 3/8" solid rod for the steering rod. I sheathed it in a 1/2" piece of tubing, which has an inside diameter (ID) of slightly larger than 3/8. This made for a good tight fit.

After the sheath, I welded a piece of 1" square framing tubing around it for strength and stability.

The steering end of the rod was drilled through the frame. The same 1/2" tube was welding through the frame members to act as the final bearing surfaces.

After completing the steering riser, I made up a set of handlebars.

For this I put some 3/4 steel pipe into my pipe bender, and bent a small radius into them for comfort. It's not necessary, but b/c I have a bender, it's a plus.

To mount the handlebars, I drilled a hole through the top and bottom, and slid them onto the steering rod.

I didn't want to drill through the top, and therefore muck up the metal, but I wanted to be able to weld the handlebars to both sides of the steering rod for extra strength.

After I'd completed this, it was time to final-mount the bar stool.

I used some scrap 1/4 stock to act as my stool mounts. I could have probably just used 1/8, but it was around, and we're talking about pain if it fails, right?

So after 4 mounts were welded in, I cut 2" pieces of 1.5" square tubing to serve as the uprights where the bar stool legs fit into.

Finally, I mounted the stool and drilled holes through all the legs/mounts. In these holes I installed cotter-pins to hold the stool in place.

Attachments

• day1-2-031.jpg
    day1-2-031.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 66
  • day1-2-036.jpg
    day1-2-036.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 52
  • day1-2-048.jpg
    day1-2-048.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 63
  • day-3-4-005.jpg
    day-3-4-005.jpg