Replace clutch or go with TC?

Kayakersmith

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for any advice/opinions.

I (go kart noob) picked up a Manco Dingo 285 with an older Kohler 8hp engine and clutch drive. The motor runs well but the clutch smokes badly after short time on the road, and a little homework identified that due to the size of the rear tires this kart should be using a TC. Due to the short drive shaft (1 3/4") a TC installation is not feasible on the Koehler and I'm trying to decide if replacing the clutch with a $100 heavy duty unit is worthwhile, or if swapping out the engine for $260 Predator 301 is the better choice in the long run.
Any help from the experts is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
All the photos I found of the 285 look like it came with a TC or has space for one. A photo of how yours is set up would help.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Back in 1988 my younger brother had one. It had factory a Briggs & Stratton 5hp and a 30 series cvt. A centrifugal clutch should be no where near that thing. I had the bigger one with the 8hp.

Originally that cart had a jack shaft. Since it is probably missing by now replace it with a 30 series tav2 with a backplate. 212 Predator would be a good replacement engine. 10 tooth sprocket to 56 to 60 tooth axle sprocket.

Kayakersmith

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated! A couple of pics below for what it's worth...

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 14

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
That looks like an old Kohler K181. I don't know what the PTO side bolt pattern is, but if it's fairly standard then I'd think a TC could be put on there.

Kayakersmith

Reaction score
It's a Kohler Magnum 8 and the crankshaft is 1 3/4". I bought a TC kit and with the backplate installed it's short. I hadn't considered trying to put the drive pulley on without the backplate and then rigging something to support the driven pulley.,,

C9night

Reaction score
Hello. I have a magnum 8 engine I am installed on my go kart with torque converter. How did you solve the problem with the throttle cable attaching it to the engine to give it power. I am thinking about running the cable to the governor arm and put a spring on the carb to return it back to closed position.

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1481.jpeg
    IMG_1481.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3