Rat Rod compressor

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Heres a rescue project nearing complete.

Based on took a 20 gallon tank from a Craftsman 220v 2HP 7 scfm at 40 PSI compressor that had reed valve issues.
20210216_124134.jpg
I rook off the original motor and compressor head, and added a Honda GX160 from a power washer that I rescued from the curb on trash day.

On the other end, I added a HF compressor head that I got from the clearance table.

Last week, my brass Control Device stuff was delivered from ebay, then I made a few trips to local hardware places and was shocked that the common plumbing fittings were so high $$, but absolutely required.

Here it is after a short run to test for leaks:
20210227_214744.jpg 20210227_214941.jpg

$85 Twin cylinder compressor head
$25 Tank on marketplace
$70 fittings
$40 unloader valve
$15 throttle whip

MickeyJ2

Reaction score
Working on restoring a vintage air compressor of unknown origin. Approximately 50s or Early 60s. I’ll post pics shortly.

52Ford

Reaction score
Heres a rescue project nearing complete.

Based on took a 20 gallon tank from a Craftsman 220v 2HP 7 scfm at 40 PSI compressor that had reed valve issues.
View attachment 125529
I rook off the original motor and compressor head, and added a Honda GX160 from a power washer that I rescued from the curb on trash day.

On the other end, I added a HF compressor head that I got from the clearance table.

Last week, my brass Control Device stuff was delivered from ebay, then I made a few trips to local hardware places and was shocked that the common plumbing fittings were so high $$, but absolutely required.

Here it is after a short run to test for leaks:
View attachment 125530 View attachment 125531

$85 Twin cylinder compressor head
$25 Tank on marketplace
$70 fittings
$40 unloader valve
$15 throttle whip
Nice! Looks like about a 3HP pump - right? I use my Rolair engine drive all the time. Look at getting a filter/regulator. I haven't used one of the HF pumps, but I imagine you'll be able to push 9 or 10 CFM. I put a 1/4" ball valve on my tank and drain the tank every time I put gas in it, start it, or shut it off. Those continuous run compressors put a lot of water in the tank.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Nice! Looks like about a 3HP pump - right? I use my Rolair engine drive all the time. Look at getting a filter/regulator. I haven't used one of the HF pumps, but I imagine you'll be able to push 9 or 10 CFM. I put a 1/4" ball valve on my tank and drain the tank every time I put gas in it, start it, or shut it off. Those continuous run compressors put a lot of water in the tank.
Yep. Here's a picture of the label.
I need to add a tension roller for the belt since it started slipping at higher pressure was built. I hope to use it for sandblasting or spraying concrete or snow making... all are higher demand than my electric compressors can keep up with.

Attachments

• 20210216_124346.jpg
    20210216_124346.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

52Ford

Reaction score
You basically made one of these. https://www.rolair.com/products/air-compressors/wheeled-gas/4090hk1720. My Rolair is from the 80's (I think) and they're still using the same tensioner setup. Super simple and works well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to copy it. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...ors-lubricators/oilwater-separator-68246.html i use one of those near the end of the air hose, near the tool. Then I have a filter/regulator on the tank. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...rs/38-in-air-filter-with-regulator-68232.html

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Hey @52Ford , Are you recommending a tensioner bolt ?(#45 in the picture)

I like that idea better than trying to add a tension roller.

@Budget GoKart I saw YT suggest a few air-conditioning-compressor-to-motor conversion videos, but I have not checked any out.
That old compressor head looks much cooler than the HF unit, but it is less output. I was planning to chuck it due to TMPLA restrictions.
(TMPLA = too many parts laying around)

There will be a dump run "one day when I get around to it" so the parts are still in a pile. I will try to keep that part dry just in case....