PSA- Keep An Extinguisher Handy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Well- that was entertaining!

I just set fire to The Green Machine!:ack2:

I needed to re-do the support bracket for the muffler. Garry and I had just had a total blast racing each other up and down the driveway- him on the Green Machine, me on the Alley Kat. We did have a bucketload o' fun!

Anyhoo- I've got everything aligned, and ready to weld. I hit the trigger, and after about a second of welding, realized the engine was on fire! The whole carb and some surrounding area was engulfed in flames!!! :oops: I ran into the garage, grabbed my extinguisher, and let 'er have it...

I didn't notice anything wet, because we've had some rain. I didn't notice the smell of the fuel because I've got a cold and am rather stuffed up... Damage was limited to the PCV hose, the rubber sheath around the plug wire, and the rubber grommet that the throttle rod hooks into on the carb.

Closer inspection revealed that a wee bit of debris had prevented the inlet needle from seating, and not only was there enough fuel to drool out the carb, soaking itself, but it hydrolocked the engine! :censored:

SO- We tore the carb off, and cleared the valve seat. Yanked out the plug and cleared the cylinder. A quick test fire to make sure the damage wasn't worse, and everything seems ok. Just have to deal with the damages.

So remember folks- spit happens. If you're going to weld or grind, make sure you've got that extinguisher at the ready. It could have been a lot worse, and you can't always foresee a problem!
 

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
Well- that was entertaining!

I just set fire to The Green Machine!:ack2:

I needed to re-do the support bracket for the muffler. Garry and I had just had a total blast racing each other up and down the driveway- him on the Green Machine, me on the Alley Kat. We did have a bucketload o' fun!

Anyhoo- I've got everything aligned, and ready to weld. I hit the trigger, and after about a second of welding, realized the engine was on fire! The whole carb and some surrounding area was engulfed in flames!!! :oops: I ran into the garage, grabbed my extinguisher, and let 'er have it...

I didn't notice anything wet, because we've had some rain. I didn't notice the smell of the fuel because I've got a cold and am rather stuffed up... Damage was limited to the PCV hose, the rubber sheath around the plug wire, and the rubber grommet that the throttle rod hooks into on the carb.

Closer inspection revealed that a wee bit of debris had prevented the inlet needle from seating, and not only was there enough fuel to drool out the carb, soaking itself, but it hydrolocked the engine! :censored:

SO- We tore the carb off, and cleared the valve seat. Yanked out the plug and cleared the cylinder. A quick test fire to make sure the damage wasn't worse, and everything seems ok. Just have to deal with the damages.

So remember folks- spit happens. If you're going to weld or grind, make sure you've got that extinguisher at the ready. It could have been a lot worse, and you can't always foresee a problem!

:eek::oops: OH,MAN!!! That could have been SOOOOOO much worse. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Let me second what you just said; When welding, using a torch,or grinding, make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy- preferably no more than 5~10 steps away, with nothing in between to slow you down if you need to use it in anger. And don't quibble about the price; which is cheaper- a $40.00 fire extinguisher or your house or car? That's the list price on the A:B:C rated Kidde brand model I looked up at Home Depot- www.homedepot.com


I couldn't figure out how to direct-link the exact model, but it was their whole home model.

Guys, listen to Toystory; what could have been a major catastrophe was only a dose of unwanted excitement because he had the extinguisher and had it where he could reach it. Having the thing in the basement when you're need to prevent disaster in the garage isn't good enough.

There, I'll get off the soapbox now.:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:

jamyers

Well-known member
Messages
1,444
Reaction score
47
Location
Buffalo Gap, TX
:iagree:

As somebody who once almost made the evening news with an out-of-control grassfire, I can attest to the speed of flame.
 

Bluethunder3320

New member
Messages
5,677
Reaction score
38
i was checking spark on a very old engine, and didnt know that the gas tank had a hole in it.

i had spark!
 

tundrabeagle3

New member
Messages
448
Reaction score
1
Location
Ca
when ever I weld something on my bike I cover my motor and anything flammable with an old towel soaked in water.
 

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
when ever I weld something on my bike I cover my motor and anything flammable with an old towel soaked in water.

That's a good idea, thanks!

I guess it's about time to buy an extinguisher soon. I've already had somebody's clothes burning...
Glad nothing serious happened that, toystory.
 

Mcbreja

New member
Messages
207
Reaction score
0
Location
Arlington, TX
I'm also glad to hear that no one got hurt. That can be a scary experience (mine was finding out there was hole in the gasline on the grill).
 

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Messages
2,538
Reaction score
48
Location
Houston, Texas
I keep a FULL SIZE industrial fire extinguisher under the passenger seat of my truck.... this sort of stuff happens more than you know and it really doesn't cost that much for a re-charge versus lets say all the hoses on your engine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top