Predator max performance 459cc

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I was hoping this would be like the 420, except with an oil pump.

No crank bearings
No billet rod available
No billet flywheel available
Piston is .080" in the hole

Looks like a stock only engine to me.
I'm sure it has plenty of low rpm grunt, its jus disappointing that no good parts for it. Maybe they will come soon, 🤷‍♂️????

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
No frigin' crank bearings? How stupid is that? The best part of this is grab a 420 and try and fit the oil pump of a 459 for pressurized oil. Could be a cool build for an engine expert with some time and $$$.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
No frigin' crank bearings? How stupid is that? The best part of this is grab a 420 and try and fit the oil pump of a 459 for pressurized oil. Could be a cool build for an engine expert with some time and $$$.
The 459 block has an oil galley going the crank, on both sides where there should be bearings. But there's no way to get oil to the rod journal and wrist pin, except the splash system. One would think it would feed oil thur the crank to the rod journal.
It's a very odd ball block.

I'm sure it'll work great at the governored rpm, the box says it makes 24.5 ft/lbs of torq, that'll yank the snot out of ya with a 40 series and the right gear.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Sort of disappointed after watching that video. As the Grey Goat commented, looks like a step backwards, or to economize. Plenty of torque, but horsepower requires the ability to turn some rpm. Looks like the 420 is still king, for the Predator brand.

Oilpan4

Reaction score
I have 2 predator 459cc engines one on a stump grinder and one on a wood chipper. Both were previously powered by Honda gx390. The Honda powered wood chipper and stump grinder never really lacked power but sometimes I'm glad I have the additional CCs.

Red beard did a video too, about a year ago, he skipped over the fact that it didn't have roller bearings, but didn't hide it.
I notice the lack of rollers so I figured the block had press in "cam bearings" style bearings, ha, nope .

Sandmanbjj

Reaction score
I got the 459 on clearance when I was building my my buggy. I got it for the price of the 212. I'm a bit disappointed Everytime I see this thread but it pulls hard enough to get my fat @$$ going and my kids love it. But when I blow it up, I'm going to put the 420 or go to the 670. But I think the 670 would put me in a wheelie just from the weight. Haha.
Is there anything that can be done to the 459 to make it faster?

panchothedog

Reaction score
I really don't know, as I have not tried to gain any more information about the 459 since the videos were made by Red Beard and Grey Goat Garage. With as much torque as it puts out, even in its stock configuration you could always gear it a little taller for more top speed. Smaller axle sprocket, or larger drive ( engine ) sprocket. Whichever is cheapest, or more readily available. Changing either one will get you more top end. It will also hurt a little bit on acceleration.

Sandmanbjj

Reaction score
I really don't know, as I have not tried to gain any more information about the 459 since the videos were made by Red Beard and Grey Goat Garage. With as much torque as it puts out, even in its stock configuration you could always gear it a little taller for more top speed. Smaller axle sprocket, or larger drive ( engine ) sprocket. Whichever is cheapest, or more readily available. Changing either one will get you more top end. It will also hurt a little bit on acceleration.
I hadn't thought about gearing it differently. I got focused on the power side. Good call!

Rat

Reaction score
I hadn't thought about gearing it differently. I got focused on the power side. Good call!
Even 1500hp is worthless without the correct gearing to make it move... I'm referring most specifically to Monster Trucks up on those Terra-tires. They aren't particularly fast, but they are quick in the sense they accelerate like a bottle rocket.

Sandmanbjj

Reaction score
Even 1500hp is worthless without the correct gearing to make it move... I'm referring most specifically to Monster Trucks up on those Terra-tires. They aren't particularly fast, but they are quick in the sense they accelerate like a bottle rocket.
So you are saying 🧐 need 1500 HP.... ok. I will need to make a few mods. But I'll keep you posted
:ROFLMAO:

Rat

Reaction score
So you are saying 🧐 need 1500 HP.... ok. I will need to make a few mods. But I'll keep you posted
:ROFLMAO:
I know you're being funny, but No.

I am saying that No matter how big or small the displacement and regardless of how large or small the tires are... in the end it's the final drive ratio that makes or breaks a builds capacity to drag around massive weight or just be fast.

One can compromise for a somewhere between, but can NEVER have ALL of both; it's just not mechanically possible within the laws of physics

Sandmanbjj

Reaction score
Rat, I'm playing. But I do appreciate the info. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best and a novice in the go kart world.
I have probably the world's most hack job buggy around. But I'm proud of it. I did it to just get one done. Now I'm going to make one and not rush through it. But I imagine it will still be mostly hack job city. Hahaha

Rat

Reaction score
Rat, I'm playing. But I do appreciate the info. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best and a novice in the go kart world.
I've been reduced to a professional shade tree mechanic, and am only a smidge more than a novice with karts... but I don't prefer them
I have probably the world's most hack job buggy around. But I'm proud of it. I did it to just get one done. Now I'm going to make one and not rush through it. But I imagine it will still be mostly hack job city. Hahaha
That sounds like my 208 powered Cow... it's a unique odd duck, but it goes like a kicked dog.