Predator Eater

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I picked up a (supposedly) slightly used ME-0709 electric motor :thumbsup:

It's for a powerful, off-road capable kart (I told ya 'all Challenge Accepted :2guns:

It's rated @ 8hp (or 19hp peak)
...so, it should be able to "kick" most Predator's azz(es) :stir::devil2:

It seems to weight about the same as a 6.5 Predator
...but, has waaaaaaay more continuous horse power
...& the peak hp is almost (3) times higher :sifone:

Product Description
The ME0709 (ME1908) is a Brush-type Permanent Magnet DC motor. Light weight, high efficiency design. Designed for 24-72 VDC battery operated equipment. Capable of 300 amps peak and 125 amps continuous. Totally open, fan cooled motor. Similar in performance to the Perm-motor 132 and the Lemco or Lynch LEM-200 motors.

Specifications
Power: 8 cont-- 19 pk hp
Voltage: 72 Volt rated
Speed: 3700 rpm @ 72v unloaded
Size: 8" OD, 6.5" long (w/o shaft)
Shaft: 7/8"x 1-3/4", 3/16" key
Weight: 36 lbs.

Ima thinkin', Ima gonna power it with (3) 24V 50AH modules from a 2014 Chevy Volt
...& now, I'm lookin' for recommendations on a 72V speed controller, to control it :cheers2:

It came with an old 48V Altraxx controller
...but, I wanna run 'er @ 72V
...so, Ima probably lookin' for a Kelly controller

Ima thinkin' the KDZ 72401 (~$300.00) should do the trick ;)

https://www.kellycontroller.com/shop/kdz/

It's a bit "over sized/rated" (400A peak for a 300A peak motor)
...so, it should never have ta work hard (it's better to work smarter than, harder) :bannana:
SAM_3507.JPGSAM_3520.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3508.JPG
    SAM_3508.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3510.JPG
    SAM_3510.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • SAM_3513.JPG
    SAM_3513.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • SAM_3514.JPG
    SAM_3514.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • SAM_3519.JPG
    SAM_3519.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • SAM_3517.JPG
    SAM_3517.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
That Kelly should work fine as would an Alltrax SR if you wanted to stay with Alltrax. The motor has quite a low RPM rating and is brushed, but very good torque. What do you want your top speed to be? What frame are you using?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
That Kelly should work fine as would an Alltrax SR if you wanted to stay with Alltrax. The motor has quite a low RPM rating and is brushed, but very good torque. What do you want your top speed to be? What frame are you using?
Well, a comparable Alltrax controller (SR-72400) is listed at $635.00
...whereas the Kelly controller (KDZ 72401) is $299.00 (with regen)

Plus. I'll need a contactor 72V 400A ($69.00)
...so, $750+ all together, going with Alltrax stuff
...or, under $400.00 using Kelly components
Um...where's my calcumlator? :lolgoku:
* The KDZ 72550 Kelly controller, on my electric motorcycle, is very powerful & has worked great for a few years now :sifone:
...so, I'll stick with 'em :cheers2:

Also, please explain, in excruciating detail, why you say "The motor has quite a low RPM rating and is brushed, but very good torque."
(many of us want to know more about these motors & you seem ta know a bit about them) :thumbsup:

Target top speed:
Well, ta "beat up on" or "eat" them Predator's, I'd say we need ta do at least 30 ta 40 MPH (on a semi-smooth surface)
...& for off road use, we'll need 'er ta be geared kinda low (maybe something like 7:1, depending on wheel size)
...but, I still wanna have enough torque ta "walk away" from them "off the line" or "coming outta turns" :stir:

Frame:
IDK, I haven't put much thought into it's design, just yet :unsure:

IMO, ya gotta figure out your performance goals, first
...next, choose the "main" components (motor, controller & batt pack) ta (hopefully) meet those goals
...then, ya can get ta designing a frame, that'll hold everything & can (again hopefully) handle the "stresses" that will be imposed upon it ;)

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Also, please explain, in excruciating detail, why you say "The motor has quite a low RPM rating and is brushed, but very good torque."
(many of us want to know more about these motors & you seem ta know a bit about them) :thumbsup:

The motor is good for 3300+/-250RPM. That means your top speed is going to be limited compared to an equivalently geared motor that can reach a higher RPM. My ME1719 is rated for 5500RPM and it can hit that RPM the way the kart is configured, for instance. That is up to a 2450RPM difference between the motors. At a 7:1 ratio with 12" tires that missing RPM is worth 12.54MPH of top speed. However, 7:1 is way too low anyway... if you were running 12" tires and got 3550RPM@72v, your top speed would only be 18.16MPH. This isn't a tiny MY1020 style motor. The motor has a good torque rating (.20Nm/Amp) so you can "spread out" the power with proper gearing; I run 3.67:1 with my ME1719 rated at .143Nm/Amp to give you an idea. You could theoretically do 34.67MPH with the same gearing as my kart (which is good for 55@5500RPM as it sits).

Being brushed, you're going to have to do maintenance perhaps every 1500 hours and you'll need a reversing contactor or a controller that has it integrated. I don't like brushed motors for my purposes and wouldn't personally spend too much on them.

Target top speed:
Well, ta "beat up on" or "eat" them Predator's, I'd say we need ta do at least 30 ta 40 MPH (on a semi-smooth surface)
...& for off road use, we'll need 'er ta be geared kinda low (maybe something like 7:1, depending on wheel size)

Pretty much any Motenergy you'd put on a kart is going to "beat up" on a Predator if you don't undervolt it. It is just more complicated in some ways and costs more. I doubt you will even need to change the gearing for off-road; it never mattered with my kart. You have full torque from 0 RPM.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
what do you think it was originally on?
The guy I got it from said that it "was used for less than 50 miles in an electric motorcycle conversion project" :cheers2:

He didn't come right out & say it but, the way he talked, I don't think they got 'er goin'
...or at least, not going "too good"
...& the twist throttle that came with it, was just a cheap Chinese scooter throttle, that was wired to a cheesy DIY circuit board (IDK why?)
...but, I don't think that worked either, 'cause the (1) wire that came off of it was cut, real short :ack2:

EpsilonZero

Reaction score
Frame:
IDK, I haven't put much thought into it's design, just yet :unsure:
How about one that puts at least two of the Volt batteries up front ? Maybe between your legs. I have one of my Headway modules up front on mine, but that's all I can fit. I think the Volt batteries look kind of cool anyway... maybe incorporate that into the design. The weight distribution would improve steering too.