Predator 212 racing coil ?

pearl111

Reaction score
I am somewhat clueless when it comes to electronics with go-kart/ minibike engines and such.
My question is if a change my...stock coil... on my (built) predator 212, to a racing/hotter coil, how much will it affect the stock sparkplug?
I'm wondering how long the stock plug will last, or should I upgrade the plug too?

I am guessing your question to me is how much stronger/hotter or ohms is the upgraded coil, that I would like to buy, I'm not sure.
I don't know if this helps but the racing coil, I'm looking at is made for a Pred. 212. So, I'm hoping I don't need to worry about the ohms.
From what I've been reading less ohms means less resistance, which means a hotter spark.

Next question do I need to use a multimeter on the coil to find the ohms? If so, how do I use the multimeter on the coil?
And does anyone know the ohm on a stock Predator 212?

I hope all this makes sense, like a said I'm new to the electronics area on these engines.
Thanks.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The only reason to ever change a coil is if it fails or if it has a built in rev limiter. When the compression ratio approaches 11:1 then worry about a hotter coil.

pearl111

Reaction score
The only reason to ever change a coil is if it fails or if it has a built in rev limiter. When the compression ratio approaches 11:1 then worry about a hotter coil.
Ok thanks...what would you have to change on a stock pred. 212 to make the compression ratio change?
I'm probable wrong.... but I'm guessing, piston size and or piston rod length, or maybe crankshaft.... Which I did not do.

I am curious.... what would be the compression ratio on a stock Pred. 212 hemi be?
Also how do you measure compression ratio on a Pred. 212?
Thanks.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Now you are getting complicated. Predators stock are around 8:1 I believe. Air cooled engines don’t tolerate high compression ratios due to the heat retention in the piston and valves. Water cooled engines tolerate this much better because of coolant flowing around valve seats and cylinders. To figure compression ratio you’ll need to cc the combustion chamber, measure how far the piston is in the cylinder. And cc it also along with head gasket thickness and then a bunch of math occurs and you get your ratio.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Why are you contemplating changing your engines ignition coil? :popcorn:

Like ta make it go faster? :auto:
...or run better? :wai:

IMO Your engine would only need a "hotter" spark
..."if" you made modifications
...that resulted in needing, a "hotter" spark :cheers2:

pearl111

Reaction score
Why are you contemplating changing your engines ignition coil? :popcorn:

Like ta make it go faster? :auto:
...or run better? :wai:

IMO Your engine would only need a "hotter" spark
..."if" you made modifications
...that resulted in needing, a "hotter" spark :cheers2:
I have a Pred.212 with these modifications

billet flywheel..
billet connecting rod...
mod 2 cam...
26lb. springs...
crommolly push rods...
.625 gas carb. ...
double bearing side cover...
fuel pump...
header...
angled air filter.

So I'm just wondering if a racing coil, with a hotter spark would help give the motor just a little more kick?

pearl111

Reaction score
That would give some extra kick, but I think I would just rather gas and go.

Maybe instead of saying that I wanted a little more kick, I should of said I was looking for a little more power.
Without making internal modifications.

redflash

Reaction score
Next step......headwork, port and polish.....larger valves. Watch "Red Beards Garage" videos " Road to horsepower", on youtube
He takes a stock 212 does 1 upgrade and puts it on a dyno........2nd upgrade puts it on the dyno.......3rd upgrade, puts it on the dyno
step by step and tells you the hp after each upgrade. by watching you see the hp increase with each subsequent upgrade until you see the max that you can get out of the 212......................watch the videos

Da redflash