Please help - electric kart motor spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

donmezz

Reaction score
This is my first post, so first of all hello!

I have started a project to design and build a kart to comply with the FIA alternative energy cup (http://www.kartelec.com/f/comp/en_fia.htm)

We're currently working on a 3d model of the kart and the power supply with will be from a single DC electric motor. I am not an electrical engineer so I'm struggling a bit here.

I need something in the range of nominal power 30 kW and peak power 34 kW (this is the best outcome possible, but 20 and 24 may be ok for initial stage).

I have heard magnetti marelli do a DC motor in this range but I cannot find for the life of me any DC motor even close to this!

We have a sponsor on the project and our budget is around £5000. I am expecting these things to not be cheap, but not to not find them at all!

Anyone come across anything similar to this or know where they can be sourced in UK?

Many thanks in advance

donmezz

Reaction score
Should have read the other forums post earlier! Doh!

Looks like a golf kart motor is highest around?

Question still stands... Does anyone know of any higher ones?

Qmavam

Reaction score
This is my first post, so first of all hello!

I have started a project to design and build a kart to comply with the FIA alternative energy cup (http://www.kartelec.com/f/comp/en_fia.htm)

I need something in the range of nominal power 30 kW and peak power 34 kW (this is the best outcome possible, but 20 and 24 may be ok for initial stage).

Many thanks in advance

Do you really mean 30 KW ?
That's equivalent to 40 hp!
If you used a 48 Volt supply that would be 625 amps.
What battery voltage do you plan to use?
Mike

donmezz

Reaction score
Hi, the magnetti marelli motor used on a competitor kart is 30kW, but powered by two 48V (40aH) batteries so I guess its 96V total. The batteries are lithium based? Does that mean anything?

I know the power is crazy I am really struggling to find anythin,

Thanks for the link though

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Lithium has a better power/density ratio than standard popular SLA batteries. Are they the old type lithium or the new LiFePO4?

Status
Not open for further replies.