Northertool Differential question

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanie

Reaction score
If I was to build a off road kart with a troque converter and Northern's Heavy Duty Differential Axle can some one explain how the axle would function?

I guess if it was driven from one side both wheels would pull together until one lost traction ( really it would have to be the non-driven wheel) and then it would spin?

What if I used rfy's (spelling?) method of using a transaxel and driving both sides of Northern's HD differential with gears and chains, then I would have one differential driving another one, how would that work? I guess one durn thing for sure it could turn on a dime with all that slip going on.

I guess I want the best of all worlds, easy turning on pavment, two wheel drive on dirt, all with reverse! Not much to ask for?

Thank you for your inputs.
Dan

2or3wheels

Reaction score
ok so let me think you would have a sproket on either side of the diff, and if you turned one side would slip? i think i have what your thinking, but does the hydro static trans have a diff? if not it wont work.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I think the sprocket that drives the rear would go straight on the differential casing, not on one of the axles. Otherwise the diff would be pretty useless.

beanie

Reaction score
yes the hydrostatic transaxels have a built-in differential.

The thing I don't know is how people are driving the northertools differential axel? Or how much slip it has and how it acts if driven from one side or both sides. Is there any information online about using it?

It might be a big mess.

Another way of doing it would be to use pillar bearings for the two rear axels so they are driven by the hydrostatic and then the gearing could be changed for speed and it would have the same rate of slip as the orginal transaxel.

But end the inside of each axel with a stub and a drive collar. Then for off road it would be a simple matter to add a locking axel between the two rear wheels.

I just don't like having to monkey around every time the thing's usage changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.