Non-electric guys needs help with motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike390

Reaction score
Hi All,

New here and like many of you I'm interested in making an electric something (probably Kart) but I was hoping that someone could shed some light on something for me.

Let's say that I have a 250 watt motor 24volt DC 14.0 amp motor, how much power does it consume (or need supplied to it) during use? Will it run full load if you supply a constant 14amps to it.

If I use (4) 24V batteries rated at 450 amps each how long will these batteries last if I was to run motor at full load?

Last edited:

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
if i am right then your 14amp motor will need 336 watts @ 24volts

you dont supply amps.. amps is a math equation based off watts and voltage drawn/used

look for RLA or run load amps on the motor

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
what is the amp hour rating on the battery??

if its 100 amp hour then it should last 7 hours off 1 battery if you have 4 figure 28 hours in theory..

thats based off the 20 hour amp hour standard. but I am bad at math.. LOL

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
looks like my math is wrong..

its not linear amp hour is based off a 20hr rate.. 100 AH battery will supply 5 amps for 20 hrs..

its NOT linear

Mike390

Reaction score
These are just numbers I pulled out of the air to show how it works, so I need to find the RLA and that will let me convert to Watts. Looks like i need to dig out the elect books for the formulas but the RLA is what I was after. Being a mech guy I'm looking at this as the battery is a pail of water and I'm trying to figure out how much water the motor will pull from the pail to keep running.

If it's a 250Watt motor why does it need 366Watts to run @24V. Is the 250W motor rating above for operating at something like 80%?

Status
Not open for further replies.