No Welding help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokor

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here and a few of my friends are getting together to build a Go Kart, but we don't have access to a welder. I saw on this site http://home.comcast.net/~makeyourowngokart/prod01.htm(bottom of page)
that the Kart was made from angle iron shaped rods. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how I would go about doing this. I need help mainly with steering guide, and the wheel connector things. And I'm sorry I don't know the names :p.

P.S. I'm certainly not new to building things, I'm an engineer.

EDIT: I am fine with the spindles and steering application, I just need help with the basic frame.

Last edited:

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
:confused:
What kind of engineer doesnt keep a welder or 2 around?

Steering is simple steering wheel is bolted to steering colum, little arm comes off colum near frontend, adjustable length conecting arms with ball joints on the ends attach steering arm to spindle arms.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Why not buy a welder? A 140amp arc welder can be had for $80 USD or less and as Kenny mentioned everyone who is into karts, specifically building them, should have one.

A bolt together kart won't be as safe, strong, maintenance free, or as durable as a welded kart.
I strongly advise you to get a welder and practice, practice, practice.

STreetKArt

_______
Reaction score
welder

you can get a wire feed mig welder from harbor freight for like 100 two 130$
just buy it use it and the take it back to the store

t0x1k

Vroom
Reaction score
Or just buy good once and get a Lincoln electric weldpak HD. Says it only welds up to 1/8" but on a clean circuit with no extension cord I've melted right through 3/16 steel. Heck I welded 5/8" bolts to act as my spindles, they're not going any where.
It's like $240 at the home depot.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score

rokor

Reaction score
Well I have access to a welder, but I would need everything to be bolted together at first. Is anyone aware of some type of guide? Or anything with pictures? Thanks for all the help so far.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
No, you dont. You dont sound like much of an engineer to me if you cant draw out a simple go kart in your head and build it.

Draw the kart, cut the parts of the frame, clamp it, weld it.

rokor

Reaction score
I don't work with motorized parts, I design Bicycle frames and suspension systems. I'm pretty sure I know what to do, it's just since this will be one of the first times I'll be working with something along the lines of this, I just thought asking for help couldn't hurt. I took some quick pictures of what I have, and maybe some of you can correct me...

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Looks good, but I really don't think that that steel will be strong enough.

Use 1" or 1 1/2" square tube for the frame. I used 1" for my first kart, but because it was so long it sagged a bit in the middle. I ended up welding another piece of 1" on the bottom of it to strengthen it.

Lay it out at home, and cut all the joints at 45 degrees with the angle grinder. Then take it to where the welder is, lay it out on the floor using a large fabrication square, and weld it together.

If you insist on using that bolt together stuff then you will need a diagonal brace (preferably 2, to make an 'X' in the middle of the frame) to stop it from collapsing.

rokor

Reaction score
Thanks. What I think I will do is add some some reinforcements, but that will be when I get the rest done, as I would prefer to make only one trip to get it welded together. Do you think that it is possible to weld together as is, like one on top of the other?

EDIT: What would you sugest (sp?) I use to make the spindle bracket? More angle iron, or flat iron bar bent to shape+reinforcements?

Last edited:

rokor

Reaction score

Black-Angle Iron
Red-Flat Iron bar
Blue-Bolt-Nut

I think I'm going to go with something similar to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.