Newbie needs help with unfinished project

Treviea2008

Reaction score
I got this two seater go kart I bought a harbor freight 301 predator motor and a cheap clutch from Amazon. Started fine but wouldn't go forward just smoked clutch. So I bought a 30 series torque converter installed it. Now it goes but after a short while it starts Shredding the belt????? Obviously something is wrong just don't know what is?? Any help would be appreciated 🙏

Attachments

• 16303761175467515211412517991947.jpg
    16303761175467515211412517991947.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 16303761476566490512948806317345.jpg
    16303761476566490512948806317345.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
My experiences are with cheap Chinese CVT's, but some things are universal.
If you don't use the right spacing between the driver clutch and the engine, the alignment with the driven pulley will be off, which can shred belts.
If you do a lot of slow speed tooling around without going fast enough to fully engage the clutch, you'll burn belts up, including shredding.
Any belts besides genuine Comet belts can be considered suspect, and could be prone to early failure.
Check the link below, scroll down to the very bottom. It's about a full page of info on eating belts and other useful knowledge.
Comet Drive Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Belts (gokartsupply.com)

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
I got this two seater go kart I bought a harbor freight 301 predator motor and a cheap clutch from Amazon. Started fine but wouldn't go forward just smoked clutch. So I bought a 30 series torque converter installed it. Now it goes but after a short while it starts Shredding the belt????? Obviously something is wrong just don't know what is?? Any help would be appreciated 🙏
you're putting too much power through that little 30 series. You need a 40 series

Treviea2008

Reaction score
My experiences are with cheap Chinese CVT's, but some things are universal.
If you don't use the right spacing between the driver clutch and the engine, the alignment with the driven pulley will be off, which can shred belts.
If you do a lot of slow speed tooling around without going fast enough to fully engage the clutch, you'll burn belts up, including shredding.
Any belts besides genuine Comet belts can be considered suspect, and could be prone to early failure.
Check the link below, scroll down to the very bottom. It's about a full page of info on eating belts and other useful knowledge.
Comet Drive Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Belts (gokartsupply.com)
Thank you for your comments.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Cheap belts shread easy. Buy a good Comet or Manco belt. They will outlast cheap ones. You will go through 10 or more cheap ones to 1 quality one. The cheap ones to me have a slimy feel to them. Clean the shieves up real good with brake clean before you try a new belt.