New to Electric Karts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imtiaz

Reaction score
I just picked up a Kango Yard Kart, an electric powered 2 seater go kart, with a roll cage.
Its a basic Kart, Band Brake, Single Wheel Drive, the shaft on the motor has a small sproket which is connected via chain to a bigger sproket on the axle next to the rear driver's side wheel. It has 3 Batteries powering the a 24V,70A, 1.6 HP Imperial Permanent Magnet Motor. I figure it weighs about 100-150 lbs.

I rode on it, weighing in at 200lbs, and figured it was doing 15-20mph. I was wondering how fast I should expect it to go for my kids who weigh around 80-100lbs.

I was also hoping I can modify it so it can go Reverse as well as Forward. I found out that the motor is supposed to be bi-directional. Anyone have any information or insight on how to get the motor to change rotation?

TIA

dpaxson

Reaction score
the top speed won't be much different with the kids. top speed is mostly determined by gearing and voltage on an electric kart. it will accelerate faster though. for the reverse, just use two high current double pole switches between theh controller and motor. one wired positive to positive and negative to negative, and the other one switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.