New here, in the process of building a mower based go-kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splashman

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals. Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Joe, I'm 29, and love building goofy contraptions. I'm into rock crawling and have a buggy / Jeep that I built from the ground up. There is nothing left on the Jeep that I have not modified.

My latest goofy project started life as an MTD lawnmower. 11 HP Briggs with a 6 speed variable pitch trans.

I was on a few lawn mower specific websites to get information but unfortunately if you're just a hobbiest and not into racing those guys don't want to help you out.

Anyway, so far I've scraped the whole chassis of the mower and built a ladder style tube frame. I have a Peerless 600 3 speed transaxle that I "Lincoln locked". I guess I should find a good place to start a build thread and post up some pics. Maybe tomorrow.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cool! you're on the right track with the tranny and the whole setup. keep us updated and post and questions / ideas!

Splashman

Reaction score
LOL

when I first got it I threw it together just to go up to our cabin and play around. Put in the 3 speed and redid the clutch and the pulley ratio. Not much braking capability. I ran it into a big stump :ack2:

So I brought it home and decided to do it right.... well right with out spending a ton of money on it.

I just ordered some 1/2-20 heim joints for the steering today. Also grabbed a used Yamaha R6 motorcycle rear brake system off of Ebay for $30 to use as brakes.

I've been so busy I haven't taken many pictures. I need to get some and post them up.

Splashman

Reaction score
here's the only pic I uploaded so far. I was showing my buddy the clutch set-up

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
nice is that one of them 4 pattern transaxles? and glad to have another pensylvania boy on the forums!

Status
Not open for further replies.