New guy from Cali

Kwikvette

Reaction score
Good Morning forum!

Joined the group to sit in the background and read up as much as I can.

I've always wanted a go-kart, and aside from driving those on the track, I've never owned one myself.

My wife and I are getting a new house built (almost done!) and I figured as a treat I'd build one for myself. Just bought the infamous Predator 212cc engine from HF on sale as my intro to the hobby.

Little about me, I'm a welder/fabricator for work, former LEO and Marine (disabled vet). So dabbling into this hobby should be really easy! I'm an avid off-roader too so building things up is something I already do.

Look forward to talking to some of you in the threads to come, and learning a lot about what's what.

With that out of the way, I have my sights set on a Teantech centrifugal clutch, 10T as I plan to keep it a 1-person kart. I don't know what tire size to go with or live axle options. If anyone wants to throw some parts lists I'd be happy to look into it!

Thanks

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Welcome! If riding on paved areas with smaller tires at long high speed go with a centrifugal clutch. If the kart is going to be used off road. With larger diameter tires or a heavier kart or a suspension. Go with a CVT system.

Kwikvette

Reaction score
Welcome! If riding on paved areas with smaller tires at long high speed go with a centrifugal clutch. If the kart is going to be used off road. With larger diameter tires or a heavier kart or a suspension. Go with a CVT system.

Thank you for that information!

I did read that somewhere which is why I listed the Teantech centrifugal clutch above in 10T.

Knowing that I want to stay on road and go with roughly 6" tires, what kind of gearing do I need for a live axle?

panchothedog

Reaction score
Even on hard surfaces I think you'll be happier with a live axle. Even more so if you have thoughts of modifying the engine sometime in the future.