New guy, first cart

fuzzywuzzy

Reaction score
Normally I buy bad German project cars, but time for something different and cheaper-ish!

Been running out of ideas on what to get my daughter for Christmas, so I figured why not do a go kart? She's previously enjoyed her Power Wheels Dune Racer with the Milwaukee M18 battery mod so I figure this was the appropriate next step.

Go karts in my area for some weird reason are overpriced greatly, so when this one popped up, I jumped on it; $220 delivered doesn't seem too bad, but still a bit for what's needed to get it back to a decent condition:

go kart.jpg

It's supposedly a KenBar D665 that was once green, then painted black by the person I bought it from. The motor was swapped to a Predator 212 that doesn't wanna stay running (guessing bad gas that he dumped fuel stabilizer in), missing the brake drum, rear tires are dry rotted, frame on the right needs re-welded as the booger weld on it broke, and the brake pedal has no return spring. I also saw a toggle switch that had one contact missing and a cable going to that random wooden piece to the right of the motor and throttle cable, as well. Speaking of throttle cable, it doesn't want to actually do anything so I'll need to figure that out.

Hell, the seat doesn't even want to slide. And other than the bungie cord on the bottom keep the seat secured (that's covered in duct tape underneath), I don't even know what the rubber bungie cord is or was doing.

Current needs:
Re-weld frame
Strip and re-paint frame
Get motor running right
Fix brake and throttle system (ordered a 4" drum, pad, and springs that hopefully fit)
At some point, replace rear tires

Current ideas/wants:
Front lights and rear brake lights
Chain guard (DIY or buy, doesn't matter)
Any other safety necessities
Maybe new steering wheel

For the chain guard, I'm pretty good at finding what I need to find online, but I can't find much for something that'd attach to the 212 or at least, haven't seen any videos or pictures that isn't for a race kart or mini bike. Ideas?

Edit: Also looks like the front wheels are the $8 HF wheels, so uh, those need replaced too.

Last edited:

panchothedog

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. For $220 you got a great deal. Sounds like you know more or less what you want to do to the thing. For parts, or to get an idea of what is available look at some of the major suppliers. Go Power Sports, BMI
Karts, Go karts USA, OMB Warehouse. There are more, but those will get you started. I hear lots of questions about lights. I own 4 karts and one mini bike.
Have never driven any of them after dark,and don't plan on it.

redflash

Reaction score
Just google "Go Kart Parts or supplies" you'll eventually find all of them .

Da redflash