need to remove belt drive off crankshaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0me1namedkyler

Reaction score
i dont need the belt drive or whatever its called, but its rusted on there really good, tried wd40 and didnt work. suggestions?

Attachments

• 0504092037.jpg
    0504092037.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0504092038.jpg
    0504092038.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 5

anderkart

Reaction score
Hey, i just went through this myself. After the pulleys set screw(s) are removed... you might need a puller like the one in this link:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...y Tools&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

If you have any mechanic type buddies they'll probably have one you can barrow. If not, you could probably buy or rent one pretty inexpensively.

ps:
you might find you need to screw the correct size bolt fully into the end of your crank, so the puller doesn't damage the internal threads.

Tony

Reaction score
if you dont want a puller you could hit it with an air hammer while using a pry bar or you could use a hammer and punch thing but that would require 2 people...

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
i suggest starting up the engine, and rubbing a piece of sandpaper on the crank while its going to get the rust off. Then you will need a 3 jaw wheel puller to get the thing off, if all else fails head up the pulley with a torch.

ChadClancy

Reaction score
I just pulled one with a 3-jaw puller after sanding and lubing the crank shaft. It still took a lot of effort to get it off and the old pulley was destroyed in the process (it was a thinner, stamped metal type rather than a casting).

I ended up getting out the impact wrench to attach to the puller.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
I had one that WOULD NOT come off with even a puller. I cut it in half with my sawzall. No harm to crank, but i used up 3 blades (cast iron, 4 inch think dual pulley)

Status
Not open for further replies.