Need some input... Clutch/TC for high HP

rockman96

Reaction score
Supposing a fellow were to build up a 440 big block with all the billet guts and goodies... and ending up in the 35+ HP range, what would be the best way to transmit that power to the drive wheel? This is a ground up mini bike build styled after a Taco Frijole but stretched and using 1" DOM. I'll probably be running 10" wheels.

I'd prefer to run a torque converter, but all the one's I see are only rated at 18HP max. Snowmobile TC's handle more power but fit a tapered shaft, I need something for a 1" straight shaft.
Clutches are straight ratio, but maybe that's the best way?

I need thoughts, experience(s), and/or sources for a high HP TC. Thanks in advance!

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
I have a 40 series with 2600 stall kit on my built big block, works fine. A clutch/jackshaft setup will be better for the street but if your going off-roading you'll need a 40 series or you could buy a comet 780 CVT for $600. Remember if you go the way of the clutch you NEED to reduce your gearing to at least 6:1 otherwise you will destroy clutches, and buy a hilliard or noram clutch, not the Chinese trash! Also remember the HP numbers are more of an estimate, not many people have actually put built big blocks (or any small engine) on dynos.