Need a smaller drive shaft

Reaction score
OK, well, this seems like the best section because this is a metal working question. My motor (electric) has a 43/64 drive shaft. I need to get it down by 3/64 for 5/8 to be a standard size. I don't have a lathe, so I'm thinking my best bet is to just mount in a vice or something and spin it up and hold some sandpaper against it. Does anyone have any other ideas? Hopefully some better ones?

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
don't know what you arte looking for but I found this.

Reaction score
Yeah 10-tooth and bigger was the only kind i could find, but I was really hoping for 8-tooth because I have a 36-tooth drive sprocket and I think I can work with that and an 8-tooth, but definitely I'll need a new drive sprocket with anything more than 8.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I think even with an eight tooth it would still be way to tall, also i think that the 8 tooth is bad for the chain. I don't know what size tires you have but the gearing mentioned is only 4:1 which with 12" tires will make you go about 30mph at 3600 rpm.

KMEFA

Reaction score
60 & 10, ''6 - 1'',, sounds a whole lot better.
Having a larger motor sprocket anyway,, will cut down on the rolling resistance of the chain, and smoother,, plus less wear ect.. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got a local guy with a lathe to mill it down to 5/8 for me (I think it's about .002 over so I can press a sprocket on) for $10. At first he didn't even want any money, offered him $20 and then he agreed to take $10. But anyway yeah, I got it done.