My Yard Kart

NEKrone

Reaction score
Regrettably I have given up on the steering wheel. I probably could have put it the right way around when I added the 7 inches cause I just chopped it off in the middle, but I just want to ride this thing now 😭

I assembled it all today and gave it a test drive and it is pretty solid. I've never owned a gokart before but have really wanted one and I'm really impressed with the power. It would drift from a complete stop and had a lot of take off speed. My brothers one wheel drive gokart has a 5hp engine and this one feels like 4 times that.

Progress is going to slow as I have to go back to work tomorrow. This weekend will probably be welding and soldering the killswitch, and sanding. Literally one drop of water on that bare metal and it's rusted within the hour.

Happy new years guys.:wai::cheers2:

NEKrone

Reaction score
Hey it has been a while but I've resumed work on the cart. I got a few minor adjustments welded on and now I've got a fresh coat of primer on it.

All I have to do at this point is to paint it and reassemble it. I've got it suspended by utility wire hanging from a ladder. Hopefully in a week I'll have the paint dried and I'll be able to assemble it and cross it off my list.

I had to abandoned the sliding seat adjustment mechanism as it was more trouble than it was worth. The cart wasn't stretched enough for an adult so even if I did have the slider, I would never use it since I would have it in the rear position all the time.

I also did not do the lateral reinforcements. May get them in the future but I'm planning on trying to make a completely new frame that's tailored to my dimensions.image_67515393.JPGimage_50749697.JPG
image_67180801.JPG
Yes there are some very ugly welds on this. I haven't got the hang of the welder settings, sadly.

Rat

Reaction score
Such a waste that the steering wheel isn't right.

I'm a bit OCD about those types of details... it's not petty, just extremely annoying to the point I will knock a steering wheel off spline just to align it even if it's only by one tooth in the spline.

Did it to my lawnmower, did it to the Kawasaki Mule I just got, tried to do it to a club car I was working on.
That turned out pointless when the alignment didn't take which lead to finding the tie rod ends are probably one pothole away from letting go

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You need to add some upper rails or something to that frame now. Riding it you’ll put a sag in that frame that will be heck to try to get out. But it looks good so far. You should fix the steering wheel now too. Just cut it at the upper weld. Straighten the wheel. The weld starting at the tube (after its tacked together) beveling it from The tube up the shaft about an inch- inch and a half. It’s easier to do this all now than to fight it all later. Or getting ticked off about it!

NEKrone

Reaction score
Such a waste that the steering wheel isn't right.
It does look off from the steering linkage in that picture which made me go outside and double check. The steering wheel does appear to be straight as far as I can tell from straightening it up and looking down it. I think it may just be the angle of the picture. Unless you're talking about hellions post where he says its upside down 😅.

You need to add some upper rails or something to that frame now. Riding it you’ll put a sag in that frame that will be heck to try to get out.
I do believe you and I normally would if I wanted to be done with it but I got a lot of new ideas building this one and I would like to try making a new one. I also would like to see how much it sags. We'll say its for the sake of science.

apologies for subjecting you guys to this lazy craftsmanship but please have mercy on me.

I'll just have to make it up to you guys when I rebuild it 😃

NEKrone

Reaction score
Mercy is for the weak... 😈

Are you weak?🤣
Gee, I guess we'll find out when the other regulars catch wind of my blasphemy. 😂. At least I'm strong enough to wait a day or two between coats so the paint should be acceptable.

also since I'm here -> update: bottom is painted. It is still hanging from the ladder with the utility wire. Got a coat of black and then truck bed liner. Still waiting to dry and then the top side.... and then.. assemble?

• Haha
Reactions: Rat

NEKrone

Reaction score
It's starting to look like its done. I don't feel like putting any more money into this, although time will tell if that will stop me, so I'm calling it a day.

I really like it. It's a pretty good kart overall and the power is kinda scary when your a half a foot from the ground. It feels like it will tip over every turn.

First test drive yielded positive results - crashed it cause it was a lot faster than I expected. Bent the left tie rod and the left pedal.

I 3d printed this insert with an owl cut out of it for the steering wheel ( it had some trapezoid shape in the middle that looked like it have a switch in it or a button. ) Gonna reprint it because the top printed a little wonky.

image_50732545.JPGUm... here are some pictures:image_50438145.JPGimage_50732801.JPGimage_50454529.JPGimage_50435841.JPG

Needs some fine tuning. The throttle and brake cable are slack but they still allow full extension without stretching. Needs a front end alignment but will have to wait til I get my replacement steering linkage. Gonna put an ammo can on the old engine mount spot for a 'trunk' and make some stencils for my 'sponsors.' of course the biggest stencil will be diygokarts.com

Attachments

• image_50454529.JPG
    image_50454529.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1

NEKrone

Reaction score
Also here are some pictures on my return spring for the brakes. I still don't trust these style of brakes. image_67187201.JPG
image_50449153.JPG

This is my upgraded throttle return spring for my predator 212 hemi.

image_67238913.JPG

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Also here are some pictures on my return spring for the brakes. I still don't trust these style of brakes. View attachment 146265
View attachment 146266

This is my upgraded throttle return spring for my predator 212 hemi.

View attachment 146267
I know you said you were done spending money BUT about those brakes.. Look into enginetics kart brakes.. Top shelf hydraulic disk that can be had from eBay rather cheap MOST of the time. 10 out of 10 will lock up both tires with no effort at all.. EXTREMLY easy to route..11A6C4B7-AD0E-4B2D-98D7-CCC36CEED706.jpeg36C57859-4733-41E1-B5F1-EDF7B2D72DAB.jpeg

NEKrone

Reaction score
I know you said you were done spending money BUT about those brakes.. Look into enginetics kart brakes.. Top shelf hydraulic disk that can be had from eBay rather cheap MOST of the time.
Dang they do look beefy! With my current spring setup the caliber is kinda twisted in its bracket so I am worried about uneven wear and the pad being at a weird angle.

Rat

Reaction score
Also here are some pictures on my return spring for the brakes. I still don't trust these style of brakes. View attachment 146265
View attachment 146266
There's Overkill, then there's WTF... THIS supercedes both.

You only need a push spring over the cable long enough to hold nearly no tension on the cable at rest.

I've got basically the same calipers on my bike as the rear main and parking calipers... so I if anyone would know.

All you're going to do is f★ck your sh!t up with that set up

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Think of how cool it could have been with side rails! Looks great and sounds like it goes pretty good too. One question though, why doesn’t the owl on the steering wheel have a head?

NEKrone

Reaction score
There's Overkill, then there's WTF... THIS supercedes both.
I think I get what you're saying... I don't have a big enough spring. 😂

But really, the spring is not as strong as its size leads you to believe. I think it's for a screen door. I got it from home depot near their odds and ends dept. says 9 lbs max resistance. I'm not sure what a push spring is. The spring you normally see up near the driver over the brake rod?

One question though, why doesn’t the owl on the steering wheel have a head?
He's got a head, he just hits the owl gym so much it blends in with his thick neck. 1709923270541.png

Rat

Reaction score
I think I get what you're saying... I don't have a big enough spring. 😂

But really, the spring is not as strong as its size leads you to believe. I think it's for a screen door. I got it from home depot near their odds and ends dept. says 9 lbs max resistance. I'm not sure what a push spring is. The spring you normally see up near the driver over the brake rod?

He's got a head, he just hits the owl gym so much it blends in with his thick neck. View attachment 146326
1000001831.jpg1000001832.jpg1000001833.jpg