Mudhead 208R hub caps? And spindle size needed

Tu tony

Reaction score
Can 8” golf cart hub caps fit on Mudhead 208R 8” rims. Can a 3/4” spindle fit as well or do I need to change bearings to work? If the Mudhead original bearings are metric do they even make bearings with metric outer measurements and ‘standard’ inner measurements that would fit? One last question. Mudhead rims call for 16 by 6-8 tires. Would 16 by 6.5-8 tires fit? While doing my own research with Mudhead’s I could only find part numbers and diagrams with no real measurements. Any answers to my questions would help a lot. Thanks. Tony

Rat

Reaction score
Can 8” golf cart hub caps fit on Mudhead 208R 8” rims. Can a 3/4” spindle fit as well or do I need to change bearings to work? If the Mudhead original bearings are metric do they even make bearings with metric outer measurements and ‘standard’ inner measurements that would fit? One last question. Mudhead rims call for 16 by 6-8 tires. Would 16 by 6.5-8 tires fit? While doing my own research with Mudhead’s I could only find part numbers and diagrams with no real measurements. Any answers to my questions would help a lot. Thanks. Tony
8" is 8" so as long as there isn't some sort of massively protruding spindle on the wheels in question to get in the way, and there is a rim lip for the cap to grip onto to stay put... YES.

Metric is metric, ASE is ASE, there is no mixing of the two on parts... mixing fastener hardware (nuts and bolts) is different and occurs mostly when an engine or other parts and sub assemblies come from overseas and the majority of the machine is built Stateside.

Overall unless otherwise machined metric spindles will need metric bearings, wheels, and hardware while ASE spindles will need ASE bearings, wheels, and hardware; there is no bearings with a metric ID and ASE OD or vice versa.

Now I will admit there are some oddities like my Comet 30 CVT copy, it uses a 5/8 jackshaft and bearings, but it is shouldered and stepped to 15mm for the running gear that goes on it.

16~ TREAD DIAMETER
6/6.5~RIM WIDTH
8~ BEAD SEAT DIAMETER

Tires can safely be 1" narrower than the rim is meant to use (maybe 2" depending on the tire type) without need for a bead blaster or "fire seating", and can be up to 2" wider clearance providing without risk of the bead rolling off.

Master Hack

Reaction score
; there is no bearings with a metric ID and ASE OD or vice versa.
Actually there are bearings with metric OD and inch bore. (most) bearings are metric all the way around, but some genius decided to add more confusion to the mix. For instance 6202 - 10 is 35MM OD and 5/8 bore. A bearing number with a - # suffix indicates an inch bore in 1/16s.
So a -10 has a bore size of 10 X 1/16 or 5/8. -16 would be 1 inch bore.
Don't ask about the other weird sizes available.

• Wow
Reactions: Rat