Motor Selection for New Project

Batvan

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I haven't posted in a while so please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I am souping up a mobility scooter but in terms of power transmission and motor selection I think the process should be the same. The scooter, without a motor or battery, weighs about 110lbs and I am about 160lbs. My minimum desired speed is about 25mph but I would like to hit somewhere in the 30s, more power isn't bad but I don't think I can safely exceed that on my scooter. So far I have decided that I probably need a motor with at least 2,000 watts. I have found two motors but I don't think either is perfect. One is this 60V 2000W Brushless DC Motor. My main concern with this one is power and battery (I would need 5 12V SLA which is too many to fit). The other motor is this 48V 4.8 kW PMDC that seems popular. My concerns here are mainly with price, it seems that I would be nearing $1,000 after purchasing a controller and motor and I don't need all the power it produces. Does anyone have a recommendation for motors or where to look given my requirements? Thanks!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot really advise you myself, but i would suggest that you go have a look at all the electric builds that FunctionalArtist has posted. You can probably start by looking at this thread of his. He has done everything electric on this forum, and he uses specific motors (that i cannot remember the name of now)

Batvan

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the tip! I read through and it seems like my 2kw with 4 18ah SLAs should work out, I'll make sure to post if it works. Thanks again!

Batvan

Reaction score
The 48V 1,000W MY-1020 motors have been my "go to" motors for many projects

You can usually get 'em for ~$100.00 with the matching controller, throttle & keyed on/off switch
1000 W 48V electric scooter motor kit w BASE+control box key lock & Throttle | eBay

Their super simple (just a couple of connections are required)
...& IMO they are "beasts" for their size ;)
Thanks for the reply! I live in a hilly area and my mobility scooter is rather heavy so I think a 2,000 W will work well. I was honestly concerned because my intuition said that this tiny motor from china can't feasibly put out that much power but everything I've read contradicts that. Glad to be wrong here lol. 48v 2000w 4300rpm Motor, this seems to be what I need and I think it's a very reasonable price.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Your welcome :)
If your interested in an example of how powerful these 48V 1,000W motors are, check out my !ARRIBA! kart
It is motivated by (2) 48V 1,000W motors & powered by (4) 12V 12AH SLA batteries ;)

Batvan

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm much more confident about it all now. Thanks for the help.