More power from a Kohler Command 18HP?

52Ford

Reaction score
I have a Kohler Command 18HP in a lawn tractor. I don't use it to cut my lawn anymore - got a new one. Been working on rebuilding it. Went ahead and pulled the transaxle apart and rebuilt the hydraulic pump and motor. Waiting on axle shaft seals now. I'm doing a bunch of other work to it, too. I have the engine out, right now and figure I might as well do some work on it. Going to make a header, port and polish the heads, little stuff like that. Any recommendations? I know they made different variations of this engine - different HP ratings - with a very similar displacement and internals. This is still going to be a lawn tractor. A sub-compact tractor if you will. It doesn't have any trouble pulling 1,200 pounds in a trailer, so I'm going to call it a tractor.

karl

Reaction score
Well, with hydro drive your limited by the pump/ wheel motor. Spinning the engine faster
will only cause cavitation in the pump.

The pump can only provide so much flow rate at a given load.

In bone stock form, the command is ideal for your needs.

I have procured good results from turbocharging and/or head/ intake/ carb swapping these engines
for go karts, not limited by hydro drive systems.

I like putting the newer courage heads, with the heart shaped combustion chambers like GM LS motors,
on command engines with the command valvetrain, ect. Shaved down of course.

To over simplify it, , the only way to improve torque is to increase compression ratio, adjust timing,
or get an appropriate grind cam, that the factory cam is just that.

Im sure you're not looking to stroke the engine, so that's off the books.

52Ford

Reaction score
You're completely right about the the potential cavitation issues in the hydraulics. I'm not looking for more power to spin the transaxle pump, just the PTO. I have a couple projects planned for it that'll benefit from a couple extra HP.