Minimoto go kart hop up recommendations needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJR

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just picked up 3 of these 36v 500Watt karts, one runs and two currently do not. I want to hop one of them up but not sure on the motor/controller combo just yet, as I am really new to this. Have been doing some research and see that many will use higher voltage rated controllers than motors so its still a bit unclear to me why this is, or should be?

I am looking to put maybe $200-250 into it for the upgrade.

I would like to keep it at 36v so I can use my current batteries, although 72v is an option since I have a few extra 36v 12ah batteries.

Things to note:

1. I do not need a controller with built in reverse.
2. My accel pedal is a hall effect 3 wire type, bit I can remove this and use a thumb throttle on the steering wheel if the controller would require this.
3. I have extra dead controllers so plug swapping should not be an issue. The current controllers are 6 plug units.
4. The karts currently use a 36V 500Watt MY1020 motor with #25 11 tooth sprocket.
5. I would like to take it up to at least 1000Watts, then perhaps play with the gearing.

6. I am sure I am overlooking several things :oops:

Any suggestions/comments are surely welcome. Please keep the flames to a minimum ;)

KJR

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

MacfarlaneRacers

Reaction score
There Quite Nice Karts if i was you i would get a gx160 engine into one of them mate take the electrics out !
Im Sure That Ferrari 1 Is a Fake.
I Could Be Wrong But The Electiric kart the honda sticker is fake... or is it on for real ?
Meaing its not made by honda

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
1000w motors and controllers can be picked up cheaply on eBay, that's what I would use if I wanted to keep it electric. Also, you could take the motor and controller from one and put it on another so you have 2 motors on one kart.

You *might* need more money, depends if you have batteries already I guess. Petrol power is probably a cheaper and more reliable option if your okay with no using electric motors.

Thanks

Hayden

KJR

Reaction score
There Quite Nice Karts if i was you i would get a gx160 engine into one of them mate take the electrics out !
Im Sure That Ferrari 1 Is a Fake.
I Could Be Wrong But The Electiric kart the honda sticker is fake... or is it on for real ?
Meaing its not made by honda

That Ferrari sticker was placed there by the previous owner. I took it off. The later models had the Honda stickers, as they co-labeled with Minimoto, but Honda did not actually build them.

1000w motors and controllers can be picked up cheaply on eBay, that's what I would use if I wanted to keep it electric. Also, you could take the motor and controller from one and put it on another so you have 2 motors on one kart.

You *might* need more money, depends if you have batteries already I guess. Petrol power is probably a cheaper and more reliable option if your okay with no using electric motors.

Thanks

Hayden

I'm OK with not using electrics but my wife....not so much. She despises the noise. The problem I am having is not in finding the 1000Watt motor, but choosing the right controller for this kart. If I stay with a 36V motor, can I use a controller that is rated for 48 or 60v? Also not sure what amp rating would be optimal. I am electrically handicapable to an extent. Just beginning to learn;)

KJR

Reaction score
Well, the tables have turned and my wife let me pick up a 2004 Top kart with 100cc TKM motor:)

KJR

Reaction score
I got it locally on Craigslist for $500 US, plus an Ipod that I received as a gift :)

Kart just needs a little work, most of which I have completed ( throttle cable, carb tune, starter nut). The motor is fresh and sleeve looks good, and the clutch is a Horstman DXL that needs only one weight/lever replaced. Disks are like new.

As for the Minimoto upgrade, I placed a larger motor sprocket and will leave it at that. The bigger kart has taken priority now.

Status
Not open for further replies.