MB200-2 Torque Converter questions

isaac509

Reaction score
Hi folks - I'm not a builder, just trying to understand/maintain what I've got :)

I've got about 30 hours on this bike. When I got it, you could feel the CVT working, and the bike would accelerate from about 9mph to roughly double that with the engine RPM staying around 3650-3700.

Then we took it to play on snowy roads, and I could smell the belt getting hot back there when riding on slick stuff with lots of slipping. The bike rode differently after that, as if the belt was slipping.

I got a new belt and cleaned all the junk out of there. The old belt was starting to go, but not shredded.

I've also made sure that the torque converter can still move, it's not jammed.

With the new belt the slipping problem went away, but the torque converter doesn't seem to be doing it's thing. Top speed is 9mph at 3650.

I put it on a test stand and ran it up with the cover removed, and on the stand you can see the torque converter do it's job.

On an actual ride with the cover off, I get up to 9mph and there's no action from the TC at all, it's not moving.

I haven't messed with the spring, it's in the center hole.

Any thoughts as to what I might try next?

Thank you,

- Eli

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Post some pics of the TC for us to see. May be even a short vid of it working while on stands.

Have you changed gearing or tyre size at all? Have you taken the TC apart again and checked everything inside to see if everything is working and not worn? What do the buttons look like?

Reaction score
Looking at the video, the driver does not close (expand), which means you are constantly in "low gear". There is something going on with the driver, take it apart, clean really good and lube where needed. Until the driver starts to expand you won't be going very fast.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Looking at the video, the driver does not close (expand), which means you are constantly in "low gear". There is something going on with the driver, take it apart, clean really good and lube where needed. Until the driver starts to expand you won't be going very fast.
I agree, take some pictures while you're in there.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Take both clutches apart clean and check for worn parts (bushings etc). Then go to tractor supply and get a can of graphite dry lube. One or both of those clutches is stuck for some reason.

Denny

isaac509

Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses!

This ended up being a strange problem - the throttle stop screw was in too far, and I wasn't getting enough revs to get the driver to expand.

Now, I have not adjusted that screw since I bought the bike new - If anything I'd expect it to back out by itself. But, a few turns out and I picked up about another 400-500 rpm, and now it's sunning as it should.

The other good thing about this is that the driver is spanky clean and well lubed based on all the advice I recieved.

Thanks folks! Hope I can contribute to the forum.

- Eli