Made a new bench... Anyone need some firewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Up until now I've been working on a wooden bench that my father REbuilt about 30 years ago. I say rebuilt because before then, his bench was a lot bigger & sturdier but he decided to downscale.

Anyhoo, this rebuilt bench consisted of a softwood frame with a 4 piece hardwood top which, over the years, had become... let's say, less than adequate. The 3" vice that was mounted to the bench had become useless because every time I put any pressure on it the piece of the benchtop it was mounted to would simply lift off.

SO, a few months ago, I bought a used trailer with plans to rebuild it (that thread's coming very soon). It had 27mm shs H bars welded onto the front & back which I had decided not to use on the new trailer as well as 32mm round tube rope bars which I thought were overkill.

(GET TO THE POINT)

With all this leftover steel I thought "I wonder if there's enough to make a new bench frame?" So, I did some measurements & some calculations & this is what I came up with:

Attachments

• Photo193.jpg
    Photo193.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Photo194.jpg
    Photo194.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Photo195.jpg
    Photo195.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo196.jpg
    Photo196.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 26

OzFab

Reaction score
After I welded up the frame I bought
a piece of 250mm x 6mm x 2M flat bar
a sheet of 1800mm x 900mm x 6mm MDF
a sheet of 1800mm x 900mm x 12mm MDF
& a sheet of 0.55mm gal.

I then cut the 6mm MDF sheet to the shape of the surrounding shelving & wall studs so that it would sit flush & have no gaps around it. I then transferred this shape to the 12mm MDF & cut it out, leaving the 6mm MDF sheet short along the long (front) edge, & then glued the two pieces together.

Then came the fun part. After placing the top in position, I slid the flat bar underneath into the gap created by the 6mm MDF, lined it up with the edges & tacked it in place. I then cut it down to length.

Then came the gal sheet. After laying the inverted top onto it I marked the shape & then marked again 50mm from the edges, cut it out on this mark, folded the two long edges & glued it in place. After leaving it to dry overnight I then proceeded to fold in the back edges & glued & clamped the excess to the bottom surface.

The next day I placed the top in position & folded, & glued the side edges.

Attachments

• Photo197.jpg
    Photo197.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Photo198.jpg
    Photo198.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo199.jpg
    Photo199.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10

souperman000

Reaction score
cool, are you gonna put a new wood top on it and drawers in it?

EDIT - Wow, I asked a question at the exact same time you posted the answer....to quick on the draw lol.

OzFab

Reaction score
Oh, this is the old bench:

Attachments

• Photo200.jpg
    Photo200.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo203.jpg
    Photo203.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo202.jpg
    Photo202.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo206.jpg
    Photo206.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 14

OzFab

Reaction score
The next day I glued down the front edge &, after leaving it to dry overnight, here's the finished product:

Attachments

• Photo212.jpg
    Photo212.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Photo208.jpg
    Photo208.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Photo209.jpg
    Photo209.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Photo213.jpg
    Photo213.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
that looks pretty good. when i attempted to build a work bench it never got finished. i eventually inherited my grandfathers work bench which was pretty nice. his had this built in power track with plugs that could be moved.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Wow that turned out great! Good work. I might have to try that, it would be great to have a galvanized metal top like that for engine tear downs. Both the bare metal top on my welding table and the wood top on my work bench just soak up the oil like a sponge, but this way you can just wipe oil right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.