Location, Location, Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Although it is useful, for many reasons, to provide your location on your profile page, it is not mandatory or compulsory to do so, it is merely helpful, & in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY is it necessary to do so before being provided with help &/or advice; others may feel different but, that's not how we operate...

Just today I have seen & deleted no less than 5 posts, marking them as "unnecessary", focusing on a member's location, because the poster all but demanded they provide their location before help would be provided; again, that's not how we operate...

Some new members have even inquired as to why their location is relevant to their question &, in most cases, they were correct in doing so; questions like
"how do I connect a throttle cable to the engine"
DO NOT require a location, it's completely irrelevant; on the other hand, questions like
"where can I buy wheels"
DO require a location because many will respond by suggesting somewhere local to themselves, which would be pointless to someone in.., say, India...

The forum rules do NOT state "you must provide your location", that appears later under the heading of "Some tips to getting good help"...

Good reasons for posting your location:
* It makes it easier & more relevant when suggesting parts & service providers
* There may be a helpful member local to you who can help you with repairs or parts

Let me know if you can think of any others...

Good reasons for not posting your location:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Hello folks, here by invitation....

First off: Tony....You nailed it!

One thing funny though, is the example you gave for NOT needing a profile location, is probably not the best.....first off, the guy couldn't load pictures, was not the best at describing the problem, and , ironically, the guy asking for the location was only 1 1/2 hours away!!!!! If he REALLY wanted to....he could help "hands on"....(not like this guy is in Africa)!!!!

So....yeah...here's another thing: he was a bit antsy for an answer.....so, while I pretty much did not care for the choice of how it was delivered....the request for a location wasn't frivolous IMO.....

My position is this: location is extremely helpful in almost every situation, sometimes more so than others, but.....it IS a request...not a requirement....and the importance placed on it has gone a bit overboard, (but just barely) ....but the method of trying to obtain it , and the tolerance of new members has gone down the tubes....and on that...I have not only no argument, but no defense, as I have found myself doing the same....

KartFab

Reaction score
good reasons for not posting your location:

1) nobody cares

2) people like privacy

3) irrelevant (with some exceptions)

4) even when you post a location, chances are slim that anyone living nearby has exactly what you are looking for.

5) diminishing returns for the effort to type it in (see #1, #3 and #4)

Just look at me, the closest person I have living to me is Poboy.... do you even know what that feels like? I'm still waiting for him to use his Poboy fund to come fix my go karts, and he still hasn't shown up for his hug. I even went halfway to his house at the GoPowerSports swap meet only to find out that he ditched me and was never going to give me a hug.

You know what one of the things Doug said when I met him with Dennis? He said that there was another member that joined the forum that hadn't filled out his profile location.:roflol::horse:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
good reasons for not posting your location:

1) I don't care

2) SOME people like privacy....(like what state you live in is an invasion of that?)

3) irrelevant (with more than a few exceptions)

There....I fixed that for you!

EDIT: Again...mysteriously, more post has shown up AFTER I responded....but for the last two: when did Dennis move?

And ....not only have you not asked me to fix your karts....but you weren't at GoPowersports for the hug when I went!

EDIT: .....Ooohhhh....I'm. sorry, when you said "closest" ....I took that as geographically.....LOL!

OzFab

Reaction score
First, I left the area under "Good reasons for not posting your location" blank because, IMO, there are none, it's not like we're gonna stalk you &/or hunt you down, it's for information purposes only...

The main point of this thread is to point out to existing & new members alike that it is not a necessity, which some veteran members are assuming by insisting new members provide a location before offering assistance...

As for
4) even when you post a location, chances are slim that anyone living nearby has exactly what you are looking for.

I know of a few cases where that is not true, even Doug helped a member with his kart; I've done it twice, I made parts that simply couldn't be bought; on the other hand, there were two members who joined who were very local to me; I PMed them, received a positive response & we haven't seen either of them since...

The point is, you never know...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
If you want to get technical, I've done it twice too, and Grant seems to be skirting the fact that he helped Dennis as well...(where we met....Dennis' house)....but yeah, that would have magically happened without profile locations....:rolleyes:

KartFab

Reaction score
I'm not against filling out profile locations. That's why I filled mine out, and even put myself on the little member map we have going on. I think you are missing the actual point which is--->>>I'm not for holding it against someone for not doing it, especially when it provides little benefit to those needing answers.

OzFab

Reaction score
I think you are missing the actual point which is--->>>I'm not for holding it against someone for not doing it, especially when it provides little benefit to those needing answers.

Which was exactly my point...

If a members location has no bearing on the question asked, there's no need to know their location; however, once the word "where" comes into the equation, that could be a different situation altogether...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Which was exactly my point...

If a members location has no bearing on the question asked, there's no need to know their location; however, once the word "where" comes into the equation, that could be a different situation altogether...

Yep....me too, although, I see no harm in politely asking for a location....it's what happens after that has caused problems....(with me)....

OK....when a new member gets really defensive just for that...and starts talking smack ....and overreacting like we are some kind of predators....and then continue to dis the forum with criticism and an attitude....I have to admit....I pretty much lose it....even still....I usually try to calmly try to explain. why it's to everyone's benefit if they supply that information ....

And it's never really that they don't want to supply it that sets me off....but the indignant attitude in which they respond....especially....the "you need to give me respect " while packing an attitude that won't ever get respect ANYWHERE, EVER!!!!!!

However, we have a HUGE amount of room for improvement.....as fond as I am of telling people to "check their attitude ".....I should follow my own advice more....it's really better and more productive to be nice in the long run....even if you have to be wrong to do it....I'm just a bit excitable....and not afraid to speak my mind....but sometimes I need to backup and think first.....

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newb with zero intentions of filling out my location, or most of my profile. Mostly because I basically have no idea how to do it on my phone which is my only internet access, not to mention that I have some rather extreme views on privacy.

That said, I've been a mechanic, welder, fabricator, and painter for a little bit over 20 years now, an there aren't very many mechanical devices out there that I can't figure out how to fix (I'm not a technician, I'm a mechanic, and there's a big difference IMO).I joined here because most seem to have a "get 'er done" attitude unlike some other forums I've seen where members think every repair or modification should follow some service manual to the letter. That's not for me. I've been browsing around here for a little bit now and this seems like a great bunch of folks that I'll help if I can, even if their profile location is blank.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Welcome, by the way "hillbilly" is a location.:lolgoku: So much for that extreme view on privacy. Anyway like the thread says Location is not important, just don't ask where the nearest kart parts dealer is?:cheers2:

OzFab

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newb with zero intentions of filling out my location

... & that's just fine, some of our most veteral members still have not filled in their location...

As stated, a location only helps when you need something, if you're only here to help (as opposed to being helped), we don't need to know your whereabouts...

Russ is a perfect example of this; he never asks for help but, he's usually there to offer help & no one has the vaguest clue where he is...

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
You guys are awesome, and after already having been investigated by homeland security once, I hope you guys will understand my reluctance to post any personal information. I have a feeling I'll fit in real good around here. Btw, thank you all for the warm welcome.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Warmer welcomes if you have already been investigated by DHS! Hek in my book that makes you even cooler. I am pretty sure a guy that goes by hillbilly is not an Islamist terrorist. I would be the same way if I were you. Most likely Trumped up gun Charges!

machinist@large

Reaction score
........ Most likely Trumped up gun Charges!

Most likely with the next word capitalized..... Be that as it may, the number one reason I really want people to give their location is when we have a new member from who knows where, for whom English is not their native language.

While I may not be able to solve their problem, knowing the region of the planet that they call home definitely helps me frame my questions and response's. Trying to help someone else whose using threaded rod as an axle because they didn't know where to get solid bar stock is a case in point. The gentleman in question spent more trying to make it work than the final cost for a solid axle.......

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Warmer welcomes if you have already been investigated by DHS! Hek in my book that makes you even cooler. I am pretty sure a guy that goes by hillbilly is not an Islamist terrorist. I would be the same way if I were you. Most likely Trumped up gun Charges!

It was actually MC related stuff, and it was definitely some BS.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Well we aint supposed to talk politics here, but.... You know that is so ridiculous! The DHS was founded after 9/11 to prevent future terrorist attacks from Islamic Radicals. Now the Fed has got them looking into MC stuff. What a sad state of affairs.
Rant Over

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Closing this thread. Sounds like a crazy story though. Geee.

Status
Not open for further replies.