Lincoln vs Tractor Supply electrodes. (my experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Just 'cause the electrodes cost less, doesn't mean worse results.

I much, much, MUCH rather have 5pounds of Lincoln electrodes at Home Depot for $14 than have way-overpriced 1pound junk electrodes for $10.50 from Tractor Supply. The TracCo.'s don't melt as completely I guess.The welds seems to clump into balls too. ( I still have practicing to do though)

I absolutely love Lincolns electrode quality but only downfall is when you mess up and the electrode sticks to the metal..its sticking pretty good. Noticeably stickier than the Trac Supp. Which tells me the welds are pretty dang good. Much freaking better then trac supply crap electrodes. and no weld balls either !

-- Lincoln Electrode weld --

The other 3 sides were done with Hobart. They were not pretty.

I do know a few things. and one if them is....My parts aren't breaking at the welds! hahahaha

mckutzy

Reaction score
Why don't you do a proper test...before slamming the other guys welding rod... (Don't get me wrong guys... There is bad stuff out there...)
welding skills aside...
Get some new clean metal.. Ground and prepped for welding.
Show settings on machine, and for what machine..
Do a few joint types..

Then tells us what you think...

KartFab

Reaction score
For what its worth, a good welder can almost instantly tell what the problem is and make some minor adjustments with heat input, stick angle, travel speed, slight increase or decrease in pressure on the rod.... most crappy welds are caused by user error.

Sure there might be some variations in how the stick performs, but dont you think you could just adjust the heat, then work with what you have got? Its like you are explaining that when you mess up, the stick doesnt stick to the metal.... then we see this blobs of buildup..... didnt even take off the slag.... well doesnt that tell you that you need to jack up the heat a bit to flatten out your welds more? When you even look at any welding chart for stick type, size, and AC/DC you always get a range to weld in, not just a single number.....

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
. well doesnt that tell you that you need to jack up the heat a bit to flatten out your welds more?

Couldn't go higher than 75amps . and even with 75 amps I could only weld for seconds at a time, just enough to weld small portions at a time or else a hole could quickly be burned through the metal.

anickode

Reaction score
A quick note... I know this post is old. Any electrodes from a big box store are junk, but Hobart rods from TSC are by far the worst garbage I've ever welded with. 7018 in particular. If you have to hammer the slag off a 7018 weld (even if you suck at stick welding) you've got crap rod.

I run strictly Lincoln electrodes from a welding supply shop. They should come in hermetically sealed steel cans. Any low hydrogen electrode that didn't come that way isn't worth having. I know I sound like a prima donna, but I've experienced the differences firsthand.

Lincoln Fleetweld 5P+ 6010 and Lincoln Excalibur 7018 MR are my go-to rods for 90% of my stick work. If you burn one rod of Excalibur, you will never want to strike an arc with anything else again.

Status
Not open for further replies.