Just Joined Looking for Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Hello All

Just joined here looking for some advice or directions to a post with the info I am looking for.

I bought my son one of those cheap 4 wheeler a few years ago its one of those small ones with a 90 on it but it seems every time I turn around something is going wrong with the motor.

What I want to do is take the 90 off and squeeze a small Briggs & Stration in its place.

I am not a welder just a dobber but my brother is, what I need is info on where to find clutch and sprockets to do this and suggestions on engine size.

Thanks all.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Oh ok well you can always get a govoner and a bigger sprocket on the tire so it doesnt go as fast. or you can always use a 3.5 briggs that should work good.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply.
I am at work in India right now, so I am try to look at my options and where to find parts, plan on diving in when I make it home.

RAMROD

Reaction score
LOL I work in the Oil & Gas industry and everything is just about dead in the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) so my co sent me international until things pick up, I have been to Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and am heading to Africa next month.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
Oh wow that seems fun bring loooooooooooots of water haha but then that would also suck because you dont know where you are and your away from home. i hope it pays well.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
i would get a 6.5hp and gear it so it goes slow. the hp doesnt controll speed, only torque, so you could get a 3.5hp doing the same speed as a 6.5hp, just with less acceleration and pull power. post up some pics!

RAMROD

Reaction score
Ok I am really going to have to research this, so if I put a bigger sprocket on the motor that would slow it down? Another thing is I want to keep mods to the frame at a minimum so how much bigger is a 6.5hp compared to a 3hp, also speed and torque is no big concern cranking every time I pull on it is my boy is 7 and will only ride this for another 2 to 3 years if I do this.

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
its just like the sprockets on a bicycle.
if you forget what you need, just look at them.

when the chain is on the bigger sprockets connected to the pedals (or engine) its a "higher" gear, and you will get a higher top speed.

when the chain is on the bigger sprockets that are connected to the rear wheel, you will be in a "lower" gear, and get less top speed, but better acceleration and load pulling/hill climbing abilities

except on a motorised vehicle, the sprockets attached to the engine will always be smaller than the ones on the wheel, as the engine spins wayyy faster than you can pedal. lol

if you want to mess around with it, this site has a speed calculator.
http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html
you will have to guess what tire size you have for now, as you are over-seas
but put 3600 in the box where it asks for engine rpm. 11 or 12 teeth are common on clutches. and 40, 60, and 72 teeth are common sizes of sprockets that would be attached to the driving wheels.

punch the numbers in, and it will give you a top speed, so you have an idea of that. its nice to know, cause if i had kids, i wouldnt want my 7 year old doing 35+ mph with out a good amount of experience first. lol

but yeah, a 6.5hp Honda clone (mentioned by Freakboy) is a fair deal larger than a 3hp engine.
Harbor Freight also sells a 2.5hp Honda clone, that would prob fit just fine (a guess, make sure you measure before you buy!! lol) the nice thing about the clones is that the piston is not totally upright, so it has a lower profile, and the fuel take is removable, so you can get a little extra fuel line, and put it where ever its convenient, or better yet, just use the one that was with the ATV already.
the smaller Briggs engines usually have the fuel tank mounted directly under the carb, and they have to stay there unless you want to buy a new carb.

Last edited:

RAMROD

Reaction score
Having the piston at an angle and being able to do away with the fuel tank sound great how reliable are these clones? As that is what I am trying to get away from now.

By the way thanks for all the info!

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
i haven't had any experience with Honda clones personally, but everyone on here says they are quite durable.

though i do have one genuine Honda engine, and left gas in it too long just ONE time (w/o fuel stabilizer), and now i gotta disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning cause it wont run w/o the choke on! :furious2:
never had any probs like that with Briggs engines (and i have quite a few)
lol, but just make sure you either put a stabilizer in the fuel, or drain it out before any extended storage, and it should be just fine.

by the way, was the original engine in the atv 2 cycle, or 4?
just curious. lol

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
i have a 6.5hp clone, and had problems with it. but they were my own fault.
1. recoil broke. the recoil did look pretty weak, but i did let it go at full pull
2. ignition coil broke. this was because i welded on the kill switch
3. throttle stuck on. this was because i lost a linkage
4. cracked the crank case. my brother smacked it with a steel rod to tighten the chain. fixed it with plastic padding "leak fix"

but if you are normal these things should not happen to you! what i have heard about clones is that they are a honda with lower quality flywheel.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
If i Needed an engine BADLY and could not get my hands on a MC, or Sled engine in any way, i would go for a clone because of the price. I hear they are great (although i prefer briggs), and very reliable, and i dont doubt it since they just copied a honda, and hondas arent cheap. But i also have had good luck with briggs engines, we had one tiller that was stored outside its whole life, had a 5hp briggs, never covered, always ran fine till one spring the throttle lever broke off and it had water in the gas so it wouldnt run, but a little cleaning and it started right up.

What state do you live in, i know your over seas, but if you are near vermont, and willing to pick it up i'd give you a 3.5 briggs horizontal, its old and needs rings, but it runs (or did a while ago), but hey its free.

Status
Not open for further replies.