JB WELD

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Not really a tool or welding, but somewhere in the middle.

Anybody got an adhesive suggestion for metal to flexible rubber that can withstand about 250 degrees F?
I got JB weld but it says not good for flexible rubber. Looking to attach metal plates to the rubber pads on trigger clamp. I could ultimately get rid of the rubber pads, but then need to replace them with something else about the same size. Not sure if attaching the plates directly to the clamp (without the pads) would support the metal plates enough. The plates are about the same size as the pads (about 1.5" x 4"). The part of the clamp that the pad slips onto is only about half the size. It is a 600 lb clamp

Attachments

• B65DCE1D-CE7A-4BD1-A32C-9713D8297E61.jpeg
    B65DCE1D-CE7A-4BD1-A32C-9713D8297E61.jpeg
    927.3 KB · Views: 4
  • F246BA3F-0A21-437E-BC85-F9331B3EA0E9.jpeg
    F246BA3F-0A21-437E-BC85-F9331B3EA0E9.jpeg
    955.6 KB · Views: 4

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Have you tried a silicone sealant ? Silicone stays flexible, bonds to metal and rubber and will take the heat.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I was thinking about trying some RTV gasket stuff. I think I've got every color of the rainbow. I think it was Gray that I used for 212 Hemi valve covers and I regretted using it every time I had to take the cover off. If it holds as good as the it did on metal to metal then it will be fine.

Any tips of adhering anything to rubber. Should I just scuff / sand and clean the surfaces, apply silicone (or whatever adhesive), apply clamping force, and let cure?

Wanted to try E6000, but I think it said temps would be too high (at least for the recommended use).

Last edited:

mckutzy

Reaction score
Contact cement... Rough up the rubber surface with a stiff wire brush, the clamp with sand paper...
Should hold it good..

Kent

Reaction score
Willits, California (Northern California)
You can probably get better advice if we know what your trying to do with the set up. If you don't need the rubber pads for the job you want to do maybe you can work around having to mess them up with adhesive. Much depends on how you need the set up to work as you plan to use it.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Kept the rubber pads. Used JB PlasticWeld. Roughed up with sandpaper and cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Couldn't find the max temp for it. JB "Plastic Bonder" says 350F, but all I found at the store at the time was JB "PlaticWeld". It holds strong enough without heat. The future will tell how well it holds up under 180-200 F for up to two minutes at a time. I think it should be fine.

It's just a small heated press using the plates from a digital flat iron and a 600lb trigger clamp.

Attachments

• 2A142923-1CEF-483B-91E8-0364B3EC8849.jpeg
    2A142923-1CEF-483B-91E8-0364B3EC8849.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
It was the cheapest wide plate hair (1.75" by 4") straightener I could find that with digital temp display and temperatures as low as 170 degrees F (77 degrees C for the rest of the world). Clamp and flat iron were same price $25 each. $50 total. It is an extraction press. And to keep it family friendly, not sure I should say much more. ;)

mckutzy

Reaction score
Ok...I see.. was going to say this sounds familiar...
There was a guy a number of years ago, was making a similar thing for this process... Using a jack and a frame with a heating iron...

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Ok...I see.. was going to say this sounds familiar...
There was a guy a number of years ago, was making a similar thing for this process... Using a jack and a frame with a heating iron...
Already spoke to the Artist. I couldn’t find his thread so I sent a PM.