Installing Whip Light

drgordon13

Reaction score
Hello...new to the forum...got my son an TrailMaster Mini XRX and am looking to install a 4' whip light to the back. I am pretty good with electrical stuff but need a little advice.
The kart has lights that are on a separate switch and I want to piggy back on this so when he turns the lights on the whip light will come on...is this a good option? What would be the easiest way to do this? I tried going right to the switch with some new ring terminals but it did not come on...I am going to attach a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_7242.jpeg
    IMG_7242.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7243.jpeg
    IMG_7243.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7245.jpeg
    IMG_7245.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7246.jpeg
    IMG_7246.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy & :welcome2:

The positive (+) wire (usually red) is usually connected to the "switched" side of the switch
...& the negative (-) wire (usually black) is usually connected to the frame (or negative post of the battery) :cheers2:

At least, that's usually how it works ;)

drgordon13

Reaction score
So you think if I connect the positive from my light to the "on" side of the switch I shared a picture of and ground the negative to the frame I should be good right? I assume the on side of the switch is power out...

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
install a 4' whip light to the back
4' whip light would be cute. Maybe you could get some pretty neon lamps for it. However................
If you want it for what they are best at, that whip should be about 8'-10' tall. They're best at showing other riders where you are in advance of cresting a hill, dune, hidden spot, or whatever so that they don't crash into you in a mangling offroad incident. Which by the way, offroad means no ambulances are going to be able to reach you quickly, if at all.